Custom short runner manifold

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
Alright well over the past couple days I have been working on building a short runner intake manifold.
Sorry for the crappy phone pics, all I got right now
p1493437_1.jpg

Of course I wasn't going to be able to straighten the flange with the plenum on there so I cut it off and put the flange in my press to straighten.
Anyways I had a straight edge on it so I could see when it would go square, but then my day went to shit.
p1493437_2.jpg

p1493437_3.jpg

At first I was going to repair the flange but the whole thing is twisted and bent funny and its going to be a b!tch so I am going to cnc some new flanges.
I was thinking at the same time about building a couple more of these to sell if anyone would be interested. I'm using a billet 80mm tb that will be able to use a stock tps and these will clear the brake booster unlike the ebay ones.
What do you guys think?
Anyone interested?

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
I was thinking about doing that same thing however it warped close to a 1/8" and it would have messed with the injectors and the runner length too much for my liking
Quick question for you IJ (or the other crazy gurus on here)
Today I was talking to one of my buddies that designs manifolds for the drag cars and he was saying that I should make the runners into more of a trumpet shape to take advantage of the venturi affect.
Any input on that? And any tips to building a manifold/plenum in general?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I think most of the fancy stuff isn't all that effective on boosted engines and is more an NA thing, I tried a bunch of "things" and never saw enough of a benefit to make any of it worthwhile.

Have a look how Ron makes his and that's pretty much the template I'd follow it's K.I.S.S.

2slow4you

Oct 10, 2006
WV
This might seem kind of stupid but: What if you made the flange a little thicker so you can mill it true after welding and not mess with the injetors?

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
Well I would have made it thicker if I was making my own but for this manifold pictured I used the stock lower part of the intake manifold and milled it down so I would have a clean surface to weld.
I've actually repaired the crack and redesigned the manifold using the same flange and bolted it to a 1/2" piece of steel when welding the new manifold.
This time I only had to take off .03 which is pretty negligible.
I'll post pictures soon. working on adapting the stock tps today