Custom rear speaker enclosure and targa holder relocation.

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
Well I have gotten back to getting my interior done. The drivers seat is all that is left as for the seats and all. Next I want to go through and put a sound system in the car. I have not seen too many mk3 setups in the rear for audio if anyone has some pictures it would be appreciated. My plan is to have one 15 in the center over the spare tire, also add 6 6x9 lining the sides of the 15. This will be a custom fiberglass enclosure.
I don't take my targa off very often but when I do I hate having to go to the back to put it in so I am gonna relocate the holders to the back seats since no humans over 3' tall can fit back there anyways. The idea for the holders for the lower section will be held in by a tube cross brace that will span the front of the rear seats, I will attach the normal mounts to that, the upper part I dont know yet I figure I will worry about that later. Probably will use another brace that is higher up maybe tie into the strut towers in the rear to put a brace bar in to hold it.

So if anyone has some pictures of some custom enclosures or of the targa being relocated I would like to see them. Or even a brace setup that might work to hold the targa in the rear seats.

I am not looking for a repeat of this thread btw. http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...see-your-trunks!&highlight=sound+system+setup Someone has to have a full fiberglass custom enclosure out there.

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
There are plenty of people with full fiberglass enclosures out there, sounds like you already know what you're doing though. As for relocating the targa to the rear seat, I would suggest angling it down, as the space between the rear shock towers and the back of your driver/passenger seat likely isn't going to be enough to fit the targa sitting level like it normally does in the trunk area. Are you much of a fabricator? If so, I would make yourself a floor bar as one of the bracket mounts, and something similar mounted to the tops of the shock towers, where a rear strut bar would mount to.

Hope that makes sense, I had a long night last night haha...

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
^ yea for the targa brace that is what was gonna do. I would usually take it off and put it in the back seat with the front touching the trans tunnel and the back just resting on the seat. Worked well and I did have a piece of foam for the front to sit on so it wouldnt cause damage. But I had 3 amps a capacitor and 2 10s in the rear so I couldnt fit my targa back there. Hell my targa hasnt seen the back of my car in 3 years lol always goes to the back seat so it fits back there. I just take it of and slide it over my head as im sitting in the car. To put it back on I do have to move the seat though, but its better than going into the trunk.

As for the enclosure I have only seen one custom fiberglass enclosure for an mk3. and that is in the aforementioned thread.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Never thought to put the roof behind me in the rear seat... wouldn't really work with a cage in the way though, so my roof goes to the trunk as it's my only other option haha. I'll probably end up posting up a thread of what I'd doing with my rear seat eventually though. Need to take some 'before' pictures before we get around to doing anything else...