Custom exhaust fab question. (expeienced fabricators please read)

90T04

Mar 30, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.azsupras.com
I have made lots of custom exhaust systems, hardpipes etc, and I am just wondering what you guys are using to cut the mandrel bends perfectly strait, yet at the required angles, to make a butt weld. I know there has got to be an easier way than how I do it. I have been using a marker to draw the line I need and then a cut off wheel on a grinder to cut it. I have thought about using a chop saw, but how are you going to clamp the pipe in there for the cut? I seems like chop saws are usually made for straight pieces of stock that can be clamped in the little vise.

I can get the cuts okay with a cut off wheel, but you always end up with gaps that you have to fill, big ugly welds, and then you get the poke throughs from the MIG wire, etc, etc,

A guy once told me you can get a piece of copper or brass sheet and make a little ring out of it and put it inside the pipe under the seam while you weld, and remove it when you are done, which seems like it would work, but the seam isnt always accessible when you are working with bends and long runs of pipe.

Anyway, just wondering how the pros are doing it.

Thanks
Ryan

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
well im by no means a pro, but it aint my first rodeo either.

we've always used a chop saw. the one i have the clamper is adjustable in width and angle. if its a tight angle you have to sometimes do one side then flip it over to do the other. if its a super tight angle you use a band saw. those are a little spendy tho, but real handy. if you dont have access to that the real tight stuff you'll have to do by hand. 95% of the stuff we've used a chop saw no problem.

another option is use a chop saw and section up the bends. thats time consuming and not crazy about how the multi sections look. but that works too.

here is a pic of a set of pipes we did on chris's car using nothing but a chop saw.

chris%20ic%20pipes.jpg

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
dbsupra90 said:
if its a super tight angle you use a band saw.

^^^

The best way is with a band saw...bar none.

But since theyre so expensive, its not in the budget of most of us.....(ive been trying to save for one for a while now)

As long as the clamp on your bandsaw pivots, you can make due sometimes by usign angle cuts of wood to wedge between the guide and the object your cutting and clamp against it. You will still need to hold the piece whilst cutting, especially on the bigger diameter pieces. Even if you can just start the angle with the chopsaw, and finish it with the angle grinder, youll still save some time.

Thats abotu all i got :)

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
well if ya end up with big ugly welds you can throw a flap disk on your grinder and grind em smooth. That at least helps with the appearence. I dont have a chop saw or a band saw (...yet, I will have one in TX though) so I do what you do and that is use a cut off wheel. I have gotten to be pretty good with the cut off wheel and can cut nice straight lines. Again if I need a little help, a flap disk can clean up my cuts a little.

Yeah, if I had my choice I would be using a band saw.

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
Yep, on my first exhaust and IC piping setup, I used a bandsaw.

Now I have a chopsaw where I'm at and make that work. I usually just hold it myself which isn't the best, but I haven't made any big mistakes yet, and it doesn't take long to re-cut or replace if needed.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Yep, self feed band saw here too. Works great. Then I clean up the cut with a vertical fixed position belt sander.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
I use a regular stand up Bandsaw but I have several jigs (wooden blocks with verious commenly used pipe sizes and radius's cut in to them to hold the pipe correctly) that I can attach to a aluminum plate the is guided by the table and allows me to get the angle that I want and ensures an exact and straigh cut

suicide

Jan 14, 2007
Barrie , Canada
i use a reciprocating saw for all my work and i grind my welds down to make it look better....

here is a pic after welded then grinded down, after this i will be painting or powder coating it... it will look perfect once completed,

and for IC piping i pressure the pipe to check for pin holes and go back re weld ad do on....

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
the dewalt low speed bandsaw type thing is FTW. You can cut solid aluminum stock with it, pick it up immediatly without burning your hand, and it leaves very few burrs. It cuts steel just as well.

But yeah, I use a chop saw.

And I DON'T grind my welds down :) I've got far two many hours into making them look pretty to grind off

90T04

Mar 30, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.azsupras.com
gixxer750 said:
And I DON'T grind my welds down :) I've got far two many hours into making them look pretty to grind off

Im with you there, nothing like a good looking bead on your custom parts.

cjsupra90 said:
I use a regular stand up Bandsaw but I have several jigs (wooden blocks with verious commenly used pipe sizes and radius's cut in to them to hold the pipe correctly) that I can attach to a aluminum plate the is guided by the table and allows me to get the angle that I want and ensures an exact and straigh cut

cjsupra90, that jig system sounds interesting, Id like to see some pics or something of how youre doing that.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
lol, yeah, I grind mine off.....cause they suck! Still learning. I can tack weld like a maniac though :biglaugh:

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
Band saws are really the best way to do it IMO.
My chop saw likes to take alot of material out when it cuts.
Chop saws will also leave a LOT to clean up after.

Here are some example cuts I have made with one after cleaning:

p506103_1.jpg

p506103_2.jpg

p506103_3.jpg

p506103_4.jpg

You can even cut perfect angles too, like some mentioned.
p506103_5.jpg