custom engine startup not getting power

supra_rulz

Apr 26, 2010
Seattle, WA
so, basically just baught my second mk3 few days ago and was really happy. today, i was switching some stuff from my '88 to my "new" '89 when it happened......

i took the mirror adjuster thing off and connected it to the '89 and pressed the button. i heard a *bzzt* sound kinda like a short...i think...

i then noticed that my gauges had turned off. to start the car, it has a pretty cool feature. you turn the key to the "on" position and then flip a switch up and then press a button that starts the car. well, that whole mechanism isnt getting power anymore. now i have NO idea how the mirror thing made that go out, but then again...i have no idea how its wired either. i traced all the wires and followed then back to wherever they go but i just cant figure out whats wrong. i looked at all the fuses i could find and they were fine except the horn...which keeps shorting when fitted with a new one. now i'm hoping thats the problem, but at the same time i cant figure out what and why its shorting. does any one have suggestions? if you live in the seattle area, help would be greatly appreaciated. i tried to get ahold of the previous owner but he's not responding at all -__-