Cust'm spkr grilles ADVICE

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
Hi Everyone

We are changing out sound system in 1987

Going with 6 1/2 Hertz in front doors ( have the pods )
5 1/2 in back + 3 " in back beside seats + 6 1/2 " in the
yet to be built speaker box that will fit between the 2 strut towers .

Amps > 2 alpine PDX / Alpine IVA W203 double din deck / radio

HAS ANYONE MADE REPLACEMENT SPEAKER GRILLES, LARGER LIKE ON 91 / 92
OUT OF MESH ?

If yes, could you explain how you did it, materials used ( where to purchase small hole mesh )
I know the supporting metal frame needs some cutting since too small and also below
the bottom where curent covers extend ..

Objective is to make / get clean > factory like / look of the grille covers since entire
interior has been re leathered in burgundy - close to original .

Any and all advice would be appreciated..

PS > SEARCHING FOR MONTHS FOR ACTUAL OEM FRONT DOOR GRILLE COVERS > CANNOT
FIND ANY -- IF YOU HAVE OR KNOW OF ANY - ADVISE PLEASE

Thanks

Doug

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Backlash2032;1821834 said:
When I went with 6.5s in the doors, I just used the pre 91/92 door panels.. Works just fine.
Same here, still sounds good. If you're creative and skilled with interior work, I'm sure you could figure something classy out, but if not, you may have to find 91/92 door panels. Could possibly try the dealer, but that would likely be expensive. Try it with your door panels as is, if you don't like something about them, try the dealer. Also good to keep an eye on the classified section, post a WTB thread, etc. ;)

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
te72;1821943 said:
Same here, still sounds good. If you're creative and skilled with interior work, I'm sure you could figure something classy out, but if not, you may have to find 91/92 door panels. Could possibly try the dealer, but that would likely be expensive. Try it with your door panels as is, if you don't like something about them, try the dealer. Also good to keep an eye on the classified section, post a WTB thread, etc. ;)

In all reality, they just cut up the pre 91 door panels and fitted a new frame sort of thing for the speaker grill. If you could obtain the grilles and the frames its very possible to convert them. However, I've never seen a 91+ door panel in person.

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
Hi

thanks for the replies

Will keep searching for the grilles and also try to mod some
support frames ..

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
You can't really cut pre 91 panels, as they cut further out than where the 91/92 frames attach to. If you want it to look OEM, your only choices are to do a full interior swap, or if you're lucky and your car is blue, you can swap with no issues. Blue is the only color offered every single year.

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
or just dye the inteior whatever color you like most. That's what I ended up doing. Love it!! black on black! Use good dye though!

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
RazoE;1824662 said:
You can't really cut pre 91 panels, as they cut further out than where the 91/92 frames attach to. If you want it to look OEM, your only choices are to do a full interior swap, or if you're lucky and your car is blue, you can swap with no issues. Blue is the only color offered every single year.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

^borrowed from; http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?109465-Bolt-in-6.5-quot-front-door-speaker-pods

^^it looks like if I get the rear metal panel portion in addition to the cover I will be able to modify my 87 panels to match 91+

care to elaborate RozoE?

I've already done this to the rear inner quarter interior panel to accomodate the 89 update rear speakers, the actual brackets that were welded to the strut towers were a PITA to remove (horray for cobalt bit set.)

the interior is staying BURGUNDY... kinda like it as has sentimental value, and its been re-wraped already, full leathers...

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
attatchpoints.jpg

as you can see, on the 91 panels, there's extra material to which the metal brackets attach to. On pre 91 panels, the material is cut out to the very edges. There are only 2 points that look like they would work and they're both on the bottom.

If you can find a way to "add" to vinyl, then you could definitely do it.

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
doors have been reskinned in full leathers, they may have to return the upolstery guy..

I may be able to support those by adding fibreglass structure frm the rear?

from the pic it looks like the 87-89 were installed from the inside whereas the 91/92 were installed from the rear... hopefully this plays into an optical illusion in my favour...?

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Does anybody have a picture of the back of the panels? I find it hard to believe the pre91 brackets were mounted to nothing. ;)

Sent from my HTC Rezound