Cup Holders

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has modified cup holders from a different car to fit in their Supra, or bought aftermarket ones that work well and don't look bad. I've seen the 89+ cup holders, but I don't really want to have to replace my console lid. Any thoughts or input would be great.

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
My '88 corolla GTS has pull out double cupholder under the radio. Im pretty sure it was stock and the metal pieces that are on either side of the radio looks the same as supra ones.

Take a tour of the salvage yard, alot of parts are easy swaps on alot of toyotas

John

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
I was thinking of trying to modifying the center console "tray" the one near the tems buttons. I always end up putting my drinks in there anyways but they like falling out so you have to hold onto them which makes driving a 5 speed and holding it hard. Not sure off hand how much depth there is between the bottom of that tray and the trans tunnel, but I plan on removing the tray and lid and making a fiberglass inlay.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Personally I find that 1 liter pepsi-style bottles work great to put between your left thigh and the door. Just don't forget that it's there or it'll fall out. :)

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
jester1341;1714221 said:
My '88 corolla GTS has pull out double cupholder under the radio. Im pretty sure it was stock and the metal pieces that are on either side of the radio looks the same as supra ones.

Take a tour of the salvage yard, alot of parts are easy swaps on alot of toyotas

John

My girl had those in her AE92, but the problem is our DIN opening is too low, so the bottle wouldn't sit all the way in..

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
jester1341;1714221 said:

John

Too low, at an angle, and would hit the shifter. Someone tried it a lokng time ago.

Best is to use bottles if you bring drinks. If you're going through a drive through, bring a cupholder, and get the cup holder a drink too :p

My mom's miata has the same issue with crappy cupholders...

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
I find that a 20oz bottle sits perfectly on top of the seat belt buckle between you and the arm rest. never really bothered my driving and wouldn't tip over and on hot days it would keep me cool cause the drink is up against me. lol

90mkiiisupra400hp

Mar 20, 2011
Gardiner, Maine
supra1008;1714380 said:
I find that a 20oz bottle sits perfectly on top of the seat belt buckle between you and the arm rest. never really bothered my driving and wouldn't tip over and on hot days it would keep me cool cause the drink is up against me. lol
That's the same spot I use, but if I have a can I usually use the try between the shifter and tems buttons.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
We use these a lot in the MKIV's (You think you have it bad... MKIV's don't even have cupholders...):

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+accessories/interior+accessories/folding+cup+holder.do

We generally mount them on the kick panel so when they unfold they are flat on the floor next to your leg. When they fold up it's just a little black box.

1StTurbo

Jul 23, 2010
North Idaho
metaphysico;1714235 said:
I was thinking of trying to modifying the center console "tray" the one near the tems buttons. I always end up putting my drinks in there anyways but they like falling out so you have to hold onto them which makes driving a 5 speed and holding it hard. Not sure off hand how much depth there is between the bottom of that tray and the trans tunnel, but I plan on removing the tray and lid and making a fiberglass inlay.

Yes i agree the cup holder is the main fault i find with my supra, Buy a latte first right hand turn spill on my pants an cuss. The 89 one really is stupid unless your a small person my arm sits there to shift.

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If you could get supracentrals cupholder on poodles miata center console in fb or cf i think it might sell. Id say i buy one but i dont usually buy drink without caps unless im around the corner from where im going.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles;1714317 said:
If you're going through a drive through, bring a cupholder, and get the cup holder a drink too :p

My mom's miata has the same issue with crappy cupholders...
And by 'cup holder', you mean a passenger... I see what you did there. :p

Never cared for the idea with the Miatas either. There's a spot between the passenger seat and the rear bulkhead that fits my favorite bottles nicely. :)

Supracentral;1714412 said:
We use these a lot in the MKIV's (You think you have it bad... MKIV's don't even have cupholders...):
Honestly, I don't think many Japanese sports cars (Japanese cars in general?) had cup holders until the late 90s, save for a few (like the Mk3). My 94 Miata didn't have one, my 89 240sx, my 88 Mk3, none of them had cup holders, nor did any of the Z31's that friends had. It wasn't until my 89 Mk3 and 2000 Miata that I saw my first Japanese cars with cupholders...

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I've been looking around more, and these two cupholder seem like they would work well in the center console, if they fit (I can't find dimensions online).
This one is out of a 99-06 BMW 3 series.
p1714919_1.jpg

This one is out of a 99-02 Audi A4/S4.
p1714919_2.jpg

What do you guys think?