ct26 wastegate question

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Ok, let me fsr start off by saying this is not your normal question, and i may be comming off as very stupid when asking this, but please try to answer :)

Would it be possible to make a ct-26 57 trim run on an external wastegate? Lets say i welded the internal shut, or something along those lines to make it NOT open, and ran a external wastegate on a tubular manifold i made for the ct26...

Am i WAY out of line here? Or is this something i could do...?

Thanks a million!

(trying to deside were to go from here ;) )

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Doward;964378 said:
Can it be done?

Yes.

Is it worth it?

There would be almost no performance gains to be had.

Careful there John...

The WRX guys are all on a giant kick right now - insert a stainless steel plug into the waste gate hole and weld it shut. Port the turbine housing to remove excess plug and run an external gate.

Some guys are seeing a 15-20hp increase just by doing this. Im not sure why, or understand it all 100% yet, but I would imagine its because the increased flow into the turbine.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
The stock WRX turbo is freaking tiny. IIRC, it's a mitsu TD04 turbine section.

The more restrictive your exhaust turbine is, the better performance you will see (because you will decrease exhaust manifold pressure) doing this modification.

Jon, you said it yourself - porting the turbine housing. An internal wastegate disrupts the flow through the turbine compressor, and decreases how much exhaust can pass through the turbine in any given moment. By smoothing out this flow (think of porting a head for a second - a very small lip can have a dramatic impact on air flow) you allow the air to more smoothly exit. Same exhaust velocity, but you get a higher volume of exhaust flowing out.

On a PROPERLY set up turbo system, this shouldn't be a large factor. When you are talking about pushing 330+ rwhp through a ridiculously restrictive exhaust turbine, of course improvements will be seen ;)

guido

May 18, 2008
france
does anyone run with a t4 turbo and a manifold with external wastegate?
i plan to do it later , if i could find information before it would be great

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
guido;1038704 said:
does anyone run with a t4 turbo and a manifold with external wastegate?
i plan to do it later , if i could find information before it would be great

Yes, quite a few.