CT26 upgrade question

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
IndigoMKII;1916548 said:
Actually, I've noticed mine is starting to blow a little bit of smoke as well. It has roughly 3500 miles on it and I've never taken it over 16 psi with little the car warm up before I move it and letting the car idle before I shut it off.

This is why I'm changing out my manifold/exhaust to the t4 manifold from DM and making a t3 adapter to use my HX35 7 blade that I picked up.

As for your question, I do believe you can pick up a SR boss turbo or turbonetics 62-1 turbo. These are bolt on, even with the ct26 downpipe.

Just looked at this again.. and wonder if you had the same problem I had with overfueling at higher RPM's washing the oil off. When I turned the fuel pressure down the blue smoke went away.

I am finding that my top pipe and intake get quite hot now (don't remember it being this warm) but that may be normal just due to their position. I may end up having to do some wrapping in the engine bay to get the temps down a bit. Doesn't seem to affect anything, just seems hotter than what you would desire.

Enraged;1935583 said:
if you want to keep the dp and manifold, you need to keep the ct26 exhaust housing. everything else can get changed.

I'd still say the SP bolton is one of the best ones, backed by a good company. Albert seems to make good stock upgrades if you want to spend a bit less.

I think your referring to the SP6262 if I recall. 200-300 bucks is negligible in the overall scheme of things. Looking to get the best performance/stability mix without changing the manifold and DP. I have a call into Turbonetics because I know Reg had licensed the old HKS turbo body from HKS itself a while back for usage on 7M's but afterwards Turbonetics came out with the same turbo (just have to ID it properly).

The CT26 is a fairly hearty turbo, just has some limitations that I am finding. Overall I think Toyota deserves a thumbs up for developing it for what it does and its longevity compared to others I have looked at (especially looking at its age), but at higher revs it just seems to peak too soon.

Was just looking closer at my build specs and I noticed that a 7M is basically a stroker version of the 1jz. If the 7M head was designed a bit better it would have been superior in my mind.. especially considering the torque you get out of our engines. (comparing dyno sheets... lol)

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Okay... I am having trouble getting verification/fittings, etc... from people.. lol. So... questions I have ... no idea if anyone can answer.

Firstly... from Suprasport.com.. (their turbos are pretty costly... )

Can anyone decipher for me... what turbo would bolt on to a stock manifold and elbow (Best recommendation.. ignore the lines.. )
http://www.suprasport.com/BOSS-Sr-Series-Turbo_p_756.html

Does anyone know if they use a garret center cartridge? They look good, but I still lack the intelligence to decipher what would be the best turbo for my car from their selection... guessing its a Stage4 To4e (not sure what the GTS is...).
Also not sure how much lag gets introduced as you climb the HP ladder. Fairly certain their listings are crank HP based and are a "max" number, because flow is what I thought you talked about on a turbo... not HP...

With the SP6262, there are smaller variants, is there a reason to go with the SP6262 as opposed to a lower rated one? I don't necessarily want the peak output and would rather have a nice hard pull without the boring fall-off once the initial kick is done. And the turbo lag I get currently makes it really hard to gauge drivability. I find that I don't want to go WOT in 2nd or 3rd because of boost spikes that pull the car for a second, hit fuel cut, and then give me lack luster final pull...

Staying away from T4 for now... and it isn't easy to accomplish.. lol. Too bad there isn't a "cookie" cutter approach to performance that suited an individuals "dream".

From IndigoMKII's response I think that I should be able to nab the SR Boss Turbo but don't know if all fit or only certain variants...

I can choose from Stage 4 To4e, Stage 4 GTS, Stage 5 To4E, Stage 5 GTS or P-trim To4E or P-trim GTS.

no idea what the differences will be other than the descriptions...

sometimes I don't feel that bright...

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I haven't chose any turbo yet. The SP (SP6262 I think, that's a Precision turbo?) was the other choice.

I want "bolt-on" (using stock manifold and my current DP with integrated elbow) and reliability along with not hitting my car with a whole lot of turbo lag.
I am having difficulty discerning the make-ups of these turbos, what centre cartridge does the SP use? What size is going to give me minimal lag without limiting my top end too much.

Just trying to get close to 400 at the wheels..

I have an email out to Reid at SP... hopefully he can help guide me.

Looking at the 6262 with a quick spool valve. From my reading that looks like it would work really nicely... but its not much cheaper than the Boss SR. (not cheaper really at all from what I see)

Edited to add: no QSV option for a bolt-on CT26 upgrade (wouldn't work), created a new thread to see if I can get input prior to purchasing the SP6262

Last edited:

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
i would personally go with one from albert. i'm in the same boat as you. i want to keep my bic ddp, and i'm only looking for 400 wheel hp.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I should update this...
I just bought a Hks long runner manifold (getting ceramic coated right now) with a precision sp6265 (0.84 ar), tial 44 mm wastegate (16 psi), and custom SS downpipe.

Decided just to go t4 and be done with it... Not a cheap decision mind you...

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
nice. i got an hks manifold-3000 pipe and garrett turbo in trade, but the damn manifold is cracked. :( i guess i could get a t4 manifold but i'm just going to install a bullseye power turbo and use the rest of my parts.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
gsxr141;1945111 said:
nice. i got an hks manifold-3000 pipe and garrett turbo in trade, but the damn manifold is cracked. :( i guess i could get a t4 manifold but i'm just going to install a bullseye power turbo and use the rest of my parts.

Stock mani cracked? Mine is going to be sitting.

87 Supra should have its engine swap done next week which will FINALLY allow me to organize my parts... Lol

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
sorry, not the stock manifold but the hks manifold. either way, it looks like he is backing out of the trade. i'll just be throwing in a replacement motor and adding the lex afm, 550's, upgraded turbo and maybe an aem fic. i'm leery on the fic after reading some posts on here, so that's up in the air.