CT26 upgrade question

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Im not really happy with a 600 km failure on my DM 57 Trim CT26 (in fact, I am really pissed off about it... ).. but having said that, I am thinking about possibly moving out of the CT26.

However, my DP and manifold are all setup for the CT26 and I am not really looking forward to doing any fancy manipulation (or replacement) to go to a better turbo. Is there an optional turbo that doesn't require any modification (just straight bolt-on replacement for the CT26) or am I stuck with the upgraded turbo using the CT26 housings?

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Grandavi;1916457 said:
Im not really happy with a 600 km failure on my DM 57 Trim CT26 (in fact, I am really pissed off about it... ).. but having said that, I am thinking about possibly moving out of the CT26.

However, my DP and manifold are all setup for the CT26 and I am not really looking forward to doing any fancy manipulation (or replacement) to go to a better turbo. Is there an optional turbo that doesn't require any modification (just straight bolt-on replacement for the CT26) or am I stuck with the upgraded turbo using the CT26 housings?

Actually, I've noticed mine is starting to blow a little bit of smoke as well. It has roughly 3500 miles on it and I've never taken it over 16 psi with little the car warm up before I move it and letting the car idle before I shut it off.

This is why I'm changing out my manifold/exhaust to the t4 manifold from DM and making a t3 adapter to use my HX35 7 blade that I picked up.

As for your question, I do believe you can pick up a SR boss turbo or turbonetics 62-1 turbo. These are bolt on, even with the ct26 downpipe.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
SP has a bolt on turbo, retails for around $900 if I recall correctly.

As an alternative, have you considered having your 57 fixed by Albert? He has a thread in the misc vendor forum.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The 57 Trim is brand new from Driftmotion. Has been on the car for about 2 weeks and has maybe 500 km on it before it started smoking at decelleration. I still haven't confirmed 100% that it is the turbo, just with the new engine build and everything else under the hood being new, I am figuring that its the only thing that makes sense.
If I rev the engine when its warm, I get blue out of the tail (lots).. but no blue smoke at idle. After a pull if the turbo boosts, I get blue when letting off. First time I noticed it was after engine break-in on the dyno. Big puff of blue at the end of the dyno pull when the revs came down.
Turbo was supposed to come off this week, but I wont drive the car in the snow, so it had to sit. Should be off next week to send back to Aaron to help me deal with it.

I can pick up a 60-1 Turbo to use in the meantime that has very low mileage and no shaft play. I know this one has no issues (at least since it was pulled in November.. so the seals (if thats what you call them on these) should be solid still). I know you aren't supposed to store these dry as they have a tendancy to fail afterwards due to long term "no-oil" exposure sitting on a shelf.

Deciding on buying a used CT26 stocker or the 60-1 CT 26 for an interim fix while I get the 57 trim dealt with. I tried steering away from upgrading past the CT26 housing simply because I didn't want to do the manifold and everything else down the line, plus I kinda enjoy the quick spool up with the 57 trim.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Grandavi, mine is doing the exact same thing. No smoke on start up nor idle, or while boosting, it's only during decel. If I rev the engine in neutral, say to about 3k, I get a nice puff of blue smoke then it goes away.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
ah, but when my engine is warm.. it smokes at idle as well for a few seconds.. so I think it is getting a lot of oil passing through while under pressure. I do know its common for boosted cars to have the puff after a high pressure run (especially on the dyno) and it can be normal, however, mine is to the point I am embarassed to drive the car on the road. Its not simply a puff.. its more of a blue cloud.. lol. Scary to see when you just rebuilt everything and expect it to be tight for the next 5-10 years....

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Yep, mine was a crate engine bought from toyota. I've added arp bolts here and there along with more new hardware and replaced all electronics. I've even made sure to take the extra steps such as warming the car before I drive it and letting the engine idle before shut down.

I'm very curious to see how your outcome is, as mine will likely be the same.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Grandavi;1916640 said:
I will post here when I get the results of what the issue is. Should be mid week...

Awesome thanks.

If mine turns out to be in the head, I'll just pull the engine and build it while it's out. It'll be sad to watch the car sit there but wouldn't be the first time.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Bit the bullet and ordered the DM intercooler kit (the "new" version). Hoping its a simple install and I dont have to move things all over the car. Would hate to put the rad overflow in front of the headlight and the AC compressor under the tranny (joking)...

Wondering if anyone has used this kit.. I have tried to search, but the search function on the site doesnt work well... lol. Perhaps I am not using it.

Buying the 60-1 CT26 tomorrow and going to swap it in for the 57Trim while it journeys back to DM. If the 60-1 runs cleanly, it should confirm that the turbo is toast without pulling it apart. I may have Alamo Turbos look at it...

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
dont have the new 57trim off the car yet, the 60-1 doesnt have any play at all. Looks very solid.
Gotta say.. Aaron at Driftmotion is a good guy to deal with. Just got off the phone with him (he called me at 10:00 pm my time... how many people would do that?). We got it all sorted out on the phone. Supra community is lucky to have him.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yep, 57 trim is off and it has a crack in the exhaust housing, but can't visually tell if it was leaking internally. Also, the plate on the compressor side that is held on by a "C" ring was leaking oil as well. (externally)
Basically, I just have bad luck with DM.. lol. Popped the 60-1 CT26 I picked up onto the car and took it out for a run for about 50 miles in various conditons.. did a couple pulls (running off of wastegate pressure only) and although the 61 isn't quite as responsive as the 57 felt, no smoke and everything seems fine. The new turbo ate a litre of oil (quart roughly) in 100 km... (60 miles). Going to just let the car sit until the intercooler and BOV arrive and pop those on, then throw it back on the dyno to tune the boost curve.
Think I will set the 60-1 up at 12 psi normal and 15 psi (scramble). If it holds over summer, I think the turbo should be sufficient to last. From my research the only problem the 60-1 has is with compressor surge (on a poorly setup system). So, it should be reliable once I get the HKS SSQV4 and upgraded intercooler.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Hmm, this really does make me want to finish my HX35 setup faster.. My 57 trim is also a DM rebuild that was stored dry before I purchased it, then it sat on my engine for around 6 months before I had everything to finish/install it.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Grandavi;1918381 said:
just dont spin the impeller while its dry.. lol.

Actually if its a true labyrinth seal, there's no friction between the seal and the rotating parts. So spinning the impeller wouldn't affect anything, as long as you're not moving it with compressed air..

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
I also had nothing but problems with Driftmotion 57trim CT26's.

Same issues as you, lasted about 500 miles before it started smoking. 400 of those miles were at 10 psi, and 100 miles at 14psi, always cooled before shut down.

Aaron wasn't so great to me though and refused to admit fault and found every way possible to make it my fault that the turbo was messed up. Eventually, ended up fixing it for me, and the next one did the same thing. Instead of dealing with this again, I took the turbo apart to investigate, and found that it was a machining problem of the Center section. I chucked it up in the lathe and fixed and rebuilt the turbo myself, and have not had a single problem with it since, even boosting 17psi!

I recommend against buying any upgraded CT from Driftmotion, but I am pleased about everything else I have purchased from them.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just to finish this, I want to know.. what turbo would be the best replacement for a CT26 without having to change the manifold/downpipe/elbow (mine's combined). HKS had one a long time ago and I know it would do 400 at the wheels, but is discontinued. I am thinking Turbonetics has one, but I am not wise enough to decipher the sizings.

Does a CT26 turbo have to be a T04e to keep DP and manifold? I understand the impeller sizings, etc, but its the mount/fitment that isn't all that clear.

Just seeing what I can do without changing too much prior to going standalone.

(my apologies for a stupid question.. its just not clear at all in my cranium)

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
if you want to keep the dp and manifold, you need to keep the ct26 exhaust housing. everything else can get changed.

I'd still say the SP bolton is one of the best ones, backed by a good company. Albert seems to make good stock upgrades if you want to spend a bit less.