ct26 front oil seal failure

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
I just want to confirm the modes of failure for a front oil seal in a ct26 turbo. I have been through 2 ct26 turbos. one was rebuilt, except the center section wasnt machine and it blew the rear seal. i put on a used turbo i bought off someone and now it appears to be leaking out of the front seal since i have a ton of oil in my inter cooler, with normal blow by. my PVC setup is factory, however my oil pump is shimmed so my cold oil pressure is pretty high its >60 psi. I also have a NA block with a gte pump so my running flow rates are higher than normal. the turbo is fed off of the oil gallery with a -4 an line. is it possible to have to much pressure or flow?

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
supraguru05;1278964 said:
I just want to confirm the modes of failure for a front oil seal in a ct26 turbo. I have been through 2 ct26 turbos. one was rebuilt, except the center section wasnt machine and it blew the rear seal. i put on a used turbo i bought off someone and now it appears to be leaking out of the front seal since i have a ton of oil in my inter cooler, with normal blow by. my PVC setup is factory, however my oil pump is shimmed so my cold oil pressure is pretty high its >60 psi. I also have a NA block with a gte pump so my running flow rates are higher than normal. the turbo is fed off of the oil gallery with a -4 an line. is it possible to have to much pressure or flow?

The ct26 (hitachi) cartridge DOES NOT HAVE AN INTERNAL OIL RESTRICTION.

The subaru turbos (mitsubishi) do. Thus, they can run over 90psi most of the time.

The ct will leak oil above and beyond 45psi with out seeing boost in the compressor housing.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
what size restrictor would you recommend jon. the line is -4 an, so a 0.060 restrictor would reduce the line ID quite a bit

Last edited: