Cruise control in a 1JZ?

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
A couple of weeks ago, I drove my Mazdaspeed3 round trip- Tampa to Dallas and back. While on the trip, I was wishing I was in my MKIII for various reasons, but having CC in the MS3 was definitely nice for such a long, boring drive.

I've been doing searches both here on SM, on other forums, and on Google, but cannot find any info on CC in a 1JZ. So I need to start with the dumbass questions- is it safe to assume there was a cruise control system developed for the 1JZ? If so, is it a relatively straightforward add-on? Anyone got any links where I can just read up on it?

I'm not sure which ECU I have, by the way, as the 1JZ swap was done before I bought the car.

Am I just wasting my time even pondering the idea?

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
The 1JZ did have cruise control. Attached is the wiring diagram for it. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 1JZCruise..pdf
    677.7 KB · Views: 98

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
I feel like a complete goober... it's been a while since I owned a Supra (Nearly a decade) and I did not remember where the actuator was to be found. Turns out the actuator was entirely missing from my car. LOL

So I grabbed one from a member here on the forums, just awaiting delivery. I know how the universe works, though, and I'm sure there will be more to it than just that.

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
What is the difference between the n/a actuator and the turbo actuator? I have a few n/a actuator but have never seen a turbo one.

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
supra1008;1541229 said:
What is the difference between the n/a actuator and the turbo actuator? I have a few n/a actuator but have never seen a turbo one.

Curious to know this as well, since I only realized after making my purchase that the CC actuator I bought was from an NA. Will have to do some searching.

nctexan

Nov 30, 2009
Houston
emiliorescigno;1592441 said:
To get cruise working, you will need an actuator from a Turbo car.

What type of turbo car? A 7M-GTE? A 1JZ-GTE? Does it matter?

I'm assuming I can just use the actuator that's already in the bay from my 7M-GTE. But I've read I need to extend the cable. How do you go about doing that? I know the connection on the end of the 7MGTE cable fits over a ball. But the 1JZ connection on the throttle body needs the little cylinder that fits into a groove.