Crossed Jumper cables. How bad?

jcpham

Oct 28, 2008
Fultondale, AL
Wanted to take it out for a spin yesterday but battery was dead. Me and granddad pushed it out of garage to jump it. He put the negative on the positive and vice-versa. Hooray!

Definitely toasted the 160A in the main fuse block under the hood. Checked both sides of the fried 160 with a multimeter and it has juice. Haven't got the part or checked the starter/alternator yet. Dome lights are getting juice so the battery is intact, probably just because it is an optima. I think my stereo and amps are still good, because I had the breaker thrown to all of this.

How bad might this be? Seriously, I've never done this but I've read it is a majorly bad thing to do and FUBARs everything - ECU/. I think it broke my grandad's heart. He was offering to have it towed to a dealer last night.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
JC, there's a 86.5 at the birmingham pull a parts. You can go there and get the fuses you need to see if it helps you any. I was there a few weeks back and the fuses were still in it. If you take pictures of what you need, I may have something here that will help you. Good luck, Jay

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The big fuse can be bought at a parts store, hopefully it's fine. You're lucky the battery didn't explode in your face though...

jcpham

Oct 28, 2008
Fultondale, AL
I spent a good bit of time yesterday looking into this and apparently 9 million sf.com members have also done this. Which I find very surprising. They all say the 120 blows and possibly some 30's under the dash. I bought a 07' Tacoma a few weeks ago, so I had to make a dealership run for parts for it anyways so I went to hoover toyota last night and ordered a 120 main. We'll see... My 07 Tacoma reg. cab is missing cruise control and intermittent wipers - it costs $200 bucks to buy the parts to get this working.

I was at the pull-a-part a few weeks ago. I almost pulled the seats from that supra (it's blue right). I thought of Mr. Supraman when I saw it. I didn't grab the seats because they were power. My Tacoma had a bench seat which was killing my back. I settled on some Isuzu Rodeo seats while I was there. Junkyards around here wanted $250/seat for OEM Tacoma buckets.

In other news, I found a JDM importer selling 2J-GTE's, getrag 6spd., wiring harnesses, and ECU's for $5999 freight shipped. So that's going to happen now that I have a truck and can haul parts.