crisPUMP swap... pics, of course.

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Did this a few weeks ago as I brought the supra back from the dead... thought I'd go ahead and post it, although a mundane task, since I added a little "twist" to my re-install...:biglaugh:

p714102_1.jpg

^^^ Pretty sure this one was fairly fresh... but the car sat for over 5 years... so I decided not to mess around.

p714102_2.jpg

p714102_3.jpg

^^^ I am in the "camp" of those who prefer/insist on the AISIN oem pump... which has (in my experience) the STAMPED impeller, instead of the LUMP CASTING of questionable dimensional precision. Could it affect FLOW? No sense taking the chance. (PLUS, I've had a cheap reman. pump with GRIT for a bearing on my MKII job well over a decade and a half ago.)

p714102_4.jpg

^^^ Necessary or not, I took a small file to the LITTLE BURRS that were still on the blades. (Couldn't tell you if it makes a difference, but it makes it personal...:biglaugh: ...you know, I FEEL better and SENSE that my car is cooling as well as it can.:beer: )

p714102_5.jpg

^^^ Also "comforting" can be the "CHECKED" indicator... in the form of a "PAINT MARK"... typical in the industry. (...er... then again, it is MORE frequently an indication of SORTING COMPLETE!!! Possibly for an ISSUE! DOH!:runaway: )

Seriously, check for DEFECT or simply confirmation that all four STUDS are intact... nice to see the CHECKS have taken place!:biglaugh:

p714102_6.jpg

p714102_7.jpg

^^^ Once removed, I inspect the orifice... (sounds almost KINKY!:nono: )

p714102_8.jpg

PREPARED FOR THE PROCEDURE!:icon_surp

p714102_9.jpg

^^^ The stock fasteners were in rough shape... so I went through my fastener bucket and gathered a few MFZn2-C (HONDA SPEC. for Zinc Chromate... YELLOW back then... now all Hexavalent zinc plating has gone Trivalent... and is CLEAR, or SILVER in color...) and OTHER miscellaneous STUDS and NUTS.

I decided to use the STUD/NUT combination as it is a much better joint design for clamp-loading than a BOLT. Lucky I had some DACRO coated nuts and proper length studs laying around!

p714102_10.jpg

BACK TOGETHER! (I DID use Toyotas Seal Packing, BLACK since my RED RTV was gone, and I don't like taking chances on these things...)

p714102_11.jpg

There it is complete.

BTW, I couldn't have done it without THESE:

p714102_12.jpg

I love how the Japanese are so "thorough" with their illustrated "breakdown" that QUANTIFIES the "crisp-ness" of their new product!!!

(Gotta LOVE the Meiji Chocolate "MUSHROOM MOUNTAIN", or "MOUNTAIN of MUSHROOMS"!:biglaugh: )

-crisp

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
Edit:+1 Again for switching to Toyota red. Im outta here before I have to edit anything else!

Edit:+1 for bolt organization skillz. I tend to just put them in my pocket and fish them out when needed. Its a bad habit since I always end up missing bolts.

Edit:Another +1 for the studs now that I read it.

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
TOMA70E said:
Shoulda took this oppurtunity to switch to Toyota red antifreeze.

+1 for bolt organization skillz. I tend to just put them in my pocket and fish them out when needed. Its a bad habit since I always end up missing bolts.

YES! DONE!

(The fugly green stuff was from a recent flush/fill when it was fired up after the long sleep... and I didn't have any handy! DOH!)

Thank you.

-crisp

Last edited:

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
Datsrboi said:
wow yours look so clean. Any pics of the old pump? Or was that it?

p722316_1.jpg

...I remember putting this previous one in, too. It is not high mileage, but since I left the car sit for over 5 years, and I had run LIME colored antifreeze without the Toyota lubricant for awhile... and since the cooling system is so crucial on these motors... I went ahead and changed it. There WAS more "drag" on the wheel than the fresh one.:icon_wink

(It's dusty because I just shot the photo and it's been sitting in the dirty garage for a few weeks. I will at least "salvage" the studs on the fan side.:biglaugh: )

-crisp