crispfighting the heat in various incremental ways... and such...

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
...so... I have an awkward sound that I trace to my main cooling fan... and oops, the bearing is obviously gone. It has LOTS of play between the fluid coupling housing and the "shaft" that mounts to the waterpump.:nono:

Time for a new fluid coupling... BUT WAIT! Must I go WITHOUT a supra until it arrives???

I pull it off...

p734318_1.jpg

...but can't bring myself to go back to the old electric setup I USED to use... years ago...

Hmmmmmm.... first I try out the TOYOTA 4x4 fan I have laying around, but it spins WAY too loud... and only has a SEVEN blade fan instead of TEN...

The NOISY spinning seems to be related to the "fluid clutch" function...

Then I notice the center "thermostatic spring" is of a very different gage spring steel... hmmmmmm

p734318_2.jpg

^^^ That's the SUPRA fan spring...

p734318_3.jpg

^^^ ...and THAT's the TRUCK spring... and BOTH are SIMILAR looking AISIN parts... hmmmm...

p734318_4.jpg

I remove the SUPRA fan from the fluid coupling and place it over the pickup fan assembly to "eyeball" it for size. LOOKS LIKE A FIT!:biglaugh:

p734318_5.jpg

^^^ Here you can see the difference between the seven and ten blade fans.

...similar... but different.:icon_surp

p734318_6.jpg

TA DA!!!! (I GROUND the "crimped" spring retaining housing "tabs" down with a Dremel tool... and PRYED the thermosprings from their respective fluid couplings... then SWAPPED the LIGHTER gage one into the TRUCK fan housing... which was in decent shape... (GOOD bearing, anyway!)

After putting the supra spring into the pickup fluid coupling... I took a standard tip screwdriver blade to the spring retaining tabs and gave it a couple good WHACKS!!! to "lock" the spring in position.

...I did such a "GRINDY" job of it... I didn't take any photos of the carnage... except this TOP/DOWN view that doesn't show my WORK!:nono:

Anyway... it is WORKING for the second day now... and the proper Toyota fluid coupling is on order as of today. (Side note: My dealership shows only THREE left in the nation! Can that be RIGHT? ...I'm gettin' mine while there's a couple left! Pricey, though... about a buck-and-a-half!:icon_evil )

p734318_7.jpg

^^^ Oh, yeah... I had some WRAP-STUFF left laying around from the turbo swap awhile back... and since the IC pipe over the turbo gets SOO HOT all the time... I decided to try wrapping it. Here's what I ended up with.:icon_surp

p734318_8.jpg

p734318_9.jpg

Nothing too fancy... and I couldn't tell you if it is a "noticeable difference"... but it IS incremental, at least.;)

...now we'll see how long 'till it gets real dirty looking.:nono:

-crisp

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
AGlobalThreat said:
Damn did you wrap the whole turbo?

Yup... did that during a recent "turbo swap" when my previous hybrid began to blow some oil past the rear seal. I left the turbo heat-shield off... and went with the wrap as an experiment. My EGT meter began to show MUCH better retention of heat when running hard, so I had less "drop-off" from driving "transients" in load and speed. If I understand correctly, this would be the desired outcome, more consistency in the temps, and better "dissipation" of the heat out of the exhaust.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47656

^^^ There's the TURBO SWAP post.

...I may look at wrapping the downpipe some day... just to see what FURTHER diverting the heat on down the exhaust system will do.

KOYO install SHOULD be just around the corner... if it ever GETS here!:icon_surp

-crisp

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
UPDATE!!!

90* weather today... (although COOL in the A.M., at 58* on the way to work, GREAT!)...then on the way home, soaring temperatures, and hard driving...

TOYOTA TRUCK fluid coupling with SUPRA thermo-springy-thingy swapped into it... does NOT a standard SUPRA fan MAKE!:icon_surp

Long story short... noted SLIGHT heating after hard highway running at 15psi in the 90*s and then pulled in to a parking lot, but when the coolant temp. gage rose EVER so slightly while letting the car "idle down"... (I prefer a HUMAN turbo timer!;) )...I immediately opted NOT to shut it off, but cruise conservatively home on the highway... all the while monitoring the temps. PHEEEEWWW!!! No issues! Even after it cooled, the PROPER amount of coolant was present... but at FULL TEMP, it was pressurizing until some traces were coming out the overflow drain tube... but only at stationary idle.

Better wait for the TOYOTA SUPRA specific fluid coupling to come in... and replace that darn broken shroud... and MOUNT THE KOYO ALREADY!!!

...er... where IS that dang thing!:cry:

-crisp

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
MDCmotorsports said:
Crisp. You could always rebuild your stock one....

http://212.244.183.30/~orlicki/wiskoza.pdf

YES! I had actually SAVED the write-up on doing so... but thought I could do a "quick swap" as a temporary fix for a few days...

ENNGNGGGHHHH!!!

anyway, I SHOULD have tried that, but having "bunged" it up a bit doing the swap/mod, I opted to get a "fresh" one on order instead.:biglaugh:

Even though I don't need it, I am TEMPTED to get a fresh fan blade, as well! (Just because I'm doing the KOYO and plan on replacing the shroud with a fresh one.

Still sifting through it all... probably just make more decisions on the "fly"...:1zhelp:

-crisp

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
MDCmotorsports said:
Crisp:

Also note that Team Associated and Team Losi (google them if you have to) make different weight silicone oil that we can use in our fans to make them react at different rpms.

Hmmmm... that's interesting. I didn't realize the fluid weight affected the function as well, but it makes perfect sense! (I think of different weights in my motocycle fork tubes, for a comparison... hmmm...)

I'll definitely try to learn the specifics, and may re-fill my "NEW" one when I figure out a way to "optimize" the reaction point.;)

-crisp

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
I must say I do like the very detailed instructions you put on everything just sometimes your vocabulary passes my level of brains. :)

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
7m, thank you! I don't "mean" to mess with your brains...

...well... maybe a little.:biglaugh:

-crisp