Cressida / Supra 7MGE differences..

celica-fiend

Nov 21, 2010
Victoria, BC
Hi all...

I was recently given a free 7M thats eating coolant and a good working auto trans from a '90 cressida.. the motor is complete except for ecu and wiring..

Are there any major differences that anyone knows of between Cressida and Supra 7M's? (and for that matter, Supra and Cressida automatics..)

This combo isnt going into a supra.. it's replacing the 4ME in an '80 Cressida.. so Im not so much concerned about performance.. more whether or not Ill be able to relatively easily plug in an auto Supra harness/ecu onto a Cressida 7M/auto..

Parts Supras are much more plentiful than parts Cressidas..

thanks,

Brett

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
the intakes are massivly different. google 7mge images and you will see why. theres not really much diffences other than that.

as for the tranny now, the tranny you have with the 7m is a elctronic shift trans,(a034e) so i dont know how swapable that will be, even with the tranny computer.

as for the wiring harness, i think you may have to find a cressida harness,due to the different intake (supras have the aics system, cress dont) it may not be 100% compatable,

celica-fiend

Nov 21, 2010
Victoria, BC
Thanks for the info regarding the intakes..

Regarding the trans.. lets pretend Im a complete moron when it comes to automatics (actually, lets not pretend.. I am a complete moron regarding automatics)..

From a bit of googling I think you mean A340E not A034E right? Electronic shift? Are you saying Id have issues even with a Cressida ECU/tranny ECU .. or just if I tried to use a Supra ECU/trans ECU?

thanks,

Brett

celica-fiend

Nov 21, 2010
Victoria, BC
Welp, did some more reading n googling and I now understand the basics of the Toyota ECT system.. so it looks like Im off to try and find MX83 wiring bits.. THAT should be fun..

Brett

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
The Cressida uses smaller injectors and iirc a milder cam. The differences are not that big but you should definitely take the ECU and harness from a similarly equipped Cressida. The Cressida and Supra use different harnesses and ECU's, they are not compatible.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
oops fail on the speeling. (i purposely slept that wrong) i dont know the extent of the ect wiring within the car. ill post some pics up of the ect in my car when i find my usb cable! arrrrg!!

celica-fiend

Nov 21, 2010
Victoria, BC
Don't go to too much trouble.. I believe ya ;)

Couple people tell me theres an '89 Cressida in a scrapyard nearby.. (the day before I leave town for 2 weeks, meh).. I'll go pillage it for parts.. and from going over the ECT description and reading some other threads last night.. I think I can make it all work.. Im fairly electronically competent.. if it comes right down to it I'll just get one of the mechanical A340's and Megasquirt the 7M..

thanks,

Brett

celica-fiend

Nov 21, 2010
Victoria, BC
Nahhh.. Ive got several other 1972 - 1987 Toyotas with 5 speeds.. the cressida is gonna be the comfy-luxo-barge for toodlin around town and road trips down to JCCS n such..

Brett

Vrank!!!

hahahahaha
Dec 17, 2009
TX
Unless you're getting absolutely everything for free and like headaches, don't waste your time. The headache has nothing to do with the electrical side. If you don't care about performance, why not keep the 4m? Spending a dollar on a bhg'd 7m is the same thing as wiping your ass with said dollar and promptly flushing it down the toilet. That's just my opinion. I'd rather have an auto 22r. Good luck.

Cochip

Nov 29, 2010
Caldwell, Idaho
jtamulis;1643070 said:
one of the problems one of my customers had is the oil pump from the supra doesn't thread into the cressida, so he couldn't use it in his supra, after spending lots of $$ getting it built.

Jeff

Hey I'm pretty new on this site, but I happen to just have swapped an oil pump from a '89 Cressida into a 7m out of a '88 Supra. Had to swap pans from a mid-sump to a front sump and it bolted right in which successfully relocated the pick-up into the right location for me. I'm not sure if that applies to all years, but this setup worked well.

Stephen

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
oh i just thought of something to, will the oil pan clear your crossmember? wheres the sump on yours? if its a front sump you will need pan and pump off a 5m.

that being said whay you replacing the 4m?

commandline

Aug 3, 2010
Washington State
dropped in by accident on this thread, but I might have some useful information, as i have done 7m-7m swaps (cress-supra and back) and 1jz's.

From personal experience, supra and cressida 7m's have different intake manifolds, but you can swap them out to match the ecu/wiring harness/injectors you are going to use(injectors and sensors are different between the two, the supra 7m injectors look like they have the same plugs but are kinda upside down). the power steering brackets and pumps were different, but swappable. All models use the a340e auto by aisin, occasionally they have different plugs on the transmission, but i have found that you can easy cut, splice in the one you want (wire colors are the same). the starters use different mounting styles (bolt/nut, vs. bolt threaded). If your donner engine is a cressida 7m, best to stick to that wiring harness and ECU. (btw, the ecu drives the trans as well, combined unit)

Wiring is not as hard as it looks, unwrap the 7m harness and remove the wires that do not go to the ECU. On your 4m do the opposite, remove the ECU wires and keep the body plugs and harness, then mesh the two together. That right there takes care of %90 of the wiring. You may need to extend and patch things like temp senders etc (also depending on your instrument cluster, you may need to switch from an 'idiot' light style sender to a gauge type sender, and vice-versa). Lastly, you will need to make a patch cable to go from the ECU to the body (dash) to power the ecu and stuff, so try to remove the the 7m cressida harness at the junkyard as a whole, and get the dash-to-ecu plug and a s much of a "pigtail" of the dash plug as you can, it will help in making the patch harness/adapter.

I have some extra parts for both engines and i know where to find both a cressida and supra in my area, im about 60-90minutes south of you in Washington state (US)

i do have a cressida wiring harness(1992) in pretty good shape, just needs a new end on the oil light wire/sender (common wire to brake, corrode)

Send me a prv message, i could go on lots, but would make a mess of the thread. Tks. -Joe