Crankshaft " Pulley" ????!!!

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Front crankshaft seal rides on snout of crankshaft to keep oil from coming out of the crankcase on 7M. The only time you need to use FIPG on the crank snout/crank balancer securing bolt flange is when the front crankshaft seal rides on the crankshaft harmonic balancer, like on the Ford Duratec engines. Two different designs.

Wrong!.

It rides on the pulley, which has a ledge just for the purpose.

dsc00857cl.jpg

And this photo shows pretty clearly that the seal is much larger diameter than the snout.

images.jpg

SeeUSmile

Nov 22, 2012
Australia,Victoria,Melbourne
3p141592654;2000086 said:
Wrong!.

It rides on the pulley, which has a ledge just for the purpose.

View attachment 72421

And this photo shows pretty clearly that the seal is much larger diameter than the snout.

View attachment 72422

What the hell... totally did not notice that throughout the build threads I've come across. Learning something new every day :3.

Out of curiosity guys are those gears still available. Checked with toyota in my local area but no chance :(

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
If im lucky I could remove the crank gear by hand with some wiggling in the right direction for a few minutes. I had the woodruf keys replaced on my crank and needed a rubber mallet to drive the gear back on. So it would seem worn out keys are what make removal and installation easier. Ive definitely had to use a SST of some sort to remove a friends JZ pulley and gear.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The newer toyota gears dont actually seal anything tho they are sometime stubborn to come off. The crank seal rides on the crank itself.

noel

Uchiha Member
May 5, 2008
Miami, Florida, United States
Wow! This blew into a big debate...Facts are facts no way around that Toyota designed certain things for a reason..Im happy for everyone's 2cents ...however im not happen when people talk purely out of speculation..but than again who cares about my happiness its all about the car we care about right? so as hvyman and poodles i stick with there Supported facts on this matter. You other guys run your cars however you want but when crap gets messed up blame yourself cuz you didn't wanna be mentored..ill keep this thread up to date when i receive my timing gear from Curt over at Toyota which still has the part your local auto parts wont have it.

noel

Uchiha Member
May 5, 2008
Miami, Florida, United States
all i need to know is what size bolt do i need for the 2 holes on the timing gear? so i can use the puller. The bolts it came with were way to big hopefully home depot has the bolts

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
super51fan;2000211 said:
Just because they show a SST does not mean they get used.

Really, stop talking. There's a reason I rent out my pullers on a daily basis as it's common across all brands for them to be press fit. Also, mine had to be removed with a puller and pressed back on, and there was no corrosion and the pulley was a new one.

I've also never once seen in the TSRM a place where a SST isn't needed (or you have to make your own).