Crankshaft Knife-Edging

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
LumbChuck said:
Has anyone ever had a crank "Knife-Edged" ? Just wondering if it is worth the $$$ and does it really help any ??

Never had it done nor known anyone who has but in theory, its a very good thing. Knife edging does 3 great things.
1. Reduces rotating inertia making the motor lighter and making it easier for the crank to turn.
2. Makes the crank more aerodynamic inside the crankcase cutting down on drag as it spins.
3. Reduces oil Windage to decrease the risk of whipping and possibly foaming the oil in the crankcase.

It HELPS to make higher rpms safer if balanced well. I think its a pretty damn cool upgrade.. not sure what it costs though for our crank. I'd be interested in hearing from someone who got it done to a 7m though. Hope the info helps.

mattjk

Permanent Ban
May 18, 2006
Huntington Beach
www.cardomain.com
IJ"s is nice because it's still balanced as a whole unit, but this is a bad example of knifeedging:

crank_knifeedge.jpg

WAY out of balance and will destroy itself over time at high revs.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Mine is knife edged. Looks like all they did was mill down one angle on the counter weights. (Still works however, and this allows it to still be balanced even with my rods and pistons.)

Here is a shot of my stroked crank and the knife edge. Also note that the oil pump drive is machined down to clear the Pauter rod shoulders. :)
p497834_1.jpg

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Kind of on the same subject, does anyone know about crank scrapers and if they actually benefit in any way?

Attachments

• m20_trap_c.jpg
    m20_trap_c.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 21