Cranks fine, won't start, fuel injectors not firing (?)

Brazle

Sep 6, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
The car is an '87 Supra Turbo auto with minimal mods (3" exhaust and K&N air filter, both done by the p.o.).

Background:
Car ran fine til I broke a spark plug off in the head. Decided to take it apart, basically do a HG job on it. Got it apart, cleaned and decked the head and removed the broken plug. Put everything back together (man those vacuum lines and crap are complicated). Now it won't start.
* At first I wasn't sure about the firing order, I mean which wires go to which coil plugs since my numbers on the three coils are worn off, but I found a picture in Haynes Repair Manual (section 5 page 7) and hooked the wires up like that (left to right: 1-6-3-4-2-5). I assume that is correct!?
* I also wasn't sure about the instruction on installing the CPS (Cam Position Sensor), following the instructions at the Cygnus X1 MK3 TSRM and using my PDF 1990 TSRM I think I got it right. I tried using a timing light to confirm that the timing was good, but couldn't get a consistent signal from the spark plug wires as if it weren't firing. After checking that it was firing with a screw driver near a ground (it seemed to be firing sometimes but not other times) it still would not start. It would stumble a bit but never get over 300-400rpms and would never stay running/puffing/stumbling for more than 5 secs.

Current Problem: Won't Start
* I have checked everything I can think of now and it has a new battery with a full charge and cranks great. Using the screw driver method on spark plug wire #1, it is sparking, all the coils pass the TSRM tests and so does the igniter and CPS. The TSRM didn't say anything about there being voltage to the CPS and of the 4 wires non of them had 12V with the key ON, but the CPS passed the Ohm tests which were the only ones I found in the TSRM.
Question 1: Is there supposed to be 12 Volts to any of the 4 wires going to the CPS?

I can't find any grounds that I have forgotten to hook up, but that is a possibility.
The fuel pump is working, and after loosening one of the banjo bolts and turning the key, fuel sprayed out. I don't know what my fuel pressure is, but I do have some fuel pressure in the rail.
I rented a noid lite set to test the signal at the injectors and I think this is where my problem is. I checked the voltage at each injector connector first, and at every connector BOTH wires have 12 Volts with the key ON. I thought only one would have 12 Volts and the other would go to the ECU which grounds that wire and causes the injector to fire.
Question 2: Is there supposed to be power at the injector connectors with the key ON, at one wire or both?

The noid lites don't light up and I am pretty sure I am using the right one (it was a set of 6 and I am using the one labeled Bosch EFI). From what I understand if the wiring to the injectors is trying to fire the injector, the noid lite would be lighting up (either flashing or constantly lit up). It is not lit up at all, and I have tried 3 different injector connectors (#1, 5, 6).
Question 3: What can cause everything except the injectors to work? Why would the injectors not fire?

I have checked all the fuses I can find and they all seem good. Is there maybe a relay that could be out?
When I first start to crank I hear one, or sometimes two pops like a fire/combustion, but then nothing else, just cranking. Is it possible that this is a tiny bit of fuel from the cold start injector that combusts, but then there is no more fuel?

Thanks for any help you can give me, I am stumped.

Additional Q's:
*Is it possible the ECU got fried? Can I test the injector ground operation at the ECU? E10, E20 and E30 or something like that.
* Why would there by 12 Volts at BOTH of the injector connector terminals?
* Where does the ECU get its RPM signal from? The CPS?
* If it is sparking, does that mean the CPS is working? Is that what tells the ECU to fire the injectors, or does it get that signal from somewhere else?
* Could this still be a timing issue if the CPS is installed incorrectly (it seems like it would be backfiring or running rough if the timing was just off - I have moved the CPS without removing it to see if changing the timing had any effect and it did not have any effect).

PS: I also thought about running the diagnostics, but since the battery has been disconnected it does not have any saved faults. When I put the wire in the diag plug and followed the instructions, the check engine light just stayed lit up, it did not flash constantly or with a code or anything. The diag did make the fuel pump come on though.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Your CEL should blink constistenly with E1+TE1 are jumped-weird; not sure why it would constantly stay lit- jetjock?

does your cel come on key on, eng off? terminals not jumped.

i would double check make sure you got all your grounds, vacum, isc hose hooked up properly. and everything is plugged in.

i would also make sure your cps is properly install, #1 piston TDC Compression stroke.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
shiftysupra;1218754 said:
have you reset the ecu by removing the efi fuse for like 30 sec? Fuel pump relay? injector resistor?

What up dumbo!?

hey hey, hows the car runnin;)

EDIT: Sorry not really relevant to post; MOD please delete.

shiftysupra

Nov 4, 2008
Tucson, AZ
fired her up last night drove down the street.. got to the end and got thrown back into the seat and my brother was like "god damn!" haha, then it ended 20 sec later when the intercooler hose popped off as well as i now have a leak in my radiator... haha oh well, but she runs good minus some small kinks. :naughty:

Brazle

Sep 6, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
shiftysupra;1218754 said:
have you reset the ecu by removing the efi fuse for like 30 sec? Fuel pump relay? injector resistor?

What up dumbo!?

The ECU gets reset everytime I leave the car because I disconnect the battery.
My fuel pump is working, so I think the fuel pump relay is fine.
I don't think the injector resistor is a problem, because I do have power at the injectors. The problem is the injectors aren't firing. But strangely they have 12V at both terminals, is that normal?

Brazle

Sep 6, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
dumbo;1218753 said:
Your CEL should blink constistenly with E1+TE1 are jumped-weird; not sure why it would constantly stay lit- jetjock?

does your cel come on key on, eng off? terminals not jumped.

i would double check make sure you got all your grounds, vacum, isc hose hooked up properly. and everything is plugged in.

i would also make sure your cps is properly install, #1 piston TDC Compression stroke.

Yes, the CEL comes on when I turn on the key, and then it just stays on when I jump the diag terminals.
I will check those other things, including the CPS, but it seems the problem is with the injectors not firing.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
you will get 12volts on both sides of the plug, but ONLY if the engine isn't running and the plug IS plugged in and KEY ON. but if its not i dont think you should, if i'm reading the schematic right.

i'm thinking your constant CEL when terminals jumped is an issue- again i tihnk jetjock has the knowledge if he wants to share.

Brazle

Sep 6, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
dumbo;1218814 said:
you will get 12volts on both sides of the plug, but ONLY if the engine isn't running and the plug IS plugged in and KEY ON. but if its not i dont think you should, if i'm reading the schematic right.

i'm thinking your constant CEL when terminals jumped is an issue- again i tihnk jetjock has the knowledge if he wants to share.

OK, good. And do you know if the noid light should flash while I am cranking, or will it stay lit up? I guess it doesn't matter, cuz it's not doing anything, and I know that's not right.
I will re-try the diag procedure. One question I had about that was: it says to put the tranny in neutral, is that for both auto and manual trannies, or just manual. I have an auto, and I put it in Neutral with the E-brake on for the diag procedure. I did not try it with the shifter in Park. Maybe it doesn't work for autos in Neutral. I will try it again, this time in Park.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Brazle;1218833 said:
OK, good. And do you know if the noid light should flash while I am cranking, or will it stay lit up? I guess it doesn't matter, cuz it's not doing anything, and I know that's not right.
I will re-try the diag procedure. One question I had about that was: it says to put the tranny in neutral, is that for both auto and manual trannies, or just manual. I have an auto, and I put it in Neutral with the E-brake on for the diag procedure. I did not try it with the shifter in Park. Maybe it doesn't work for autos in Neutral. I will try it again, this time in Park.

yah I am not sure about that, i would try both; cant hurt. also i would try holding the gas down once you jump them, cause that should throw code 51(i think) for sure. i would also pull your efi fuse for a min to try and reset that damn CEL, i know when you disconect the bat it resets it too but...

did you disconect your bat first thing when you started pullling your head, dont think i've heard of the cel staying on solid when checking codes.

EDIT:http://cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=59

thats the schematic i was reading, remember you cant have voltage drops if current isn't flowing, thats why you see 12volts in, 12volts out, ONLY if it was plugged into the injector.

never used nor learned about those 'noid' lights.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Q1: No voltage at CPS. The CPS generates its own voltage pulses.

Q2: What you observe is normal for an off injector with ignition on.

Power (12V) goes through the injector resistor pack and then to each injector. The white wires go to the ECU and are grounded (by a big power transistor inside the ECU) when an injector is commanded to fire.

When an injector is off, the white wires are effectively open-circuit, and you will get no voltage drop across resistors or injector solenoids, hence seeing 12V on the white wires.

Q3 A bad IGF signal will cut the injectors pretty quick, but you should see a few pulses before the ECU shuts them down.

Sounds to me like you jumpered the wrong terminals when you did the diag test. The fuel pump comes on if you connect B+ to FP. You want to connect TE1 to E1 for diag. It must flash (every 0.2621 seconds) if no codes are set and TE1 jumpered to E1.

If you remove the CPS and spin it by hand you should get spark with the ignition on.

Brazle

Sep 6, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
3p141592654;1218922 said:
Q1: No voltage at CPS. The CPS generates its own voltage pulses.

Q2: What you observe is normal for an off injector with ignition on.

Power (12V) goes through the injector resistor pack and then to each injector. The white wires go to the ECU and are grounded (by a big power transistor inside the ECU) when an injector is commanded to fire.

When an injector is off, the white wires are effectively open-circuit, and you will get no voltage drop across resistors or injector solenoids, hence seeing 12V on the white wires.

Q3 A bad IGF signal will cut the injectors pretty quick, but you should see a few pulses before the ECU shuts them down.

Sounds to me like you jumpered the wrong terminals when you did the diag test. The fuel pump comes on if you connect B+ to FP. You want to connect TE1 to E1 for diag. It must flash (every 0.2621 seconds) if no codes are set and TE1 jumpered to E1.

If you remove the CPS and spin it by hand you should get spark with the ignition on.

What is "IGF"? I don't see any pulses at all.

I may have jumpered the wrong ones. I will double check on that next time and make sure I do the right ones.

I am getting spark when it cranks so I guess the CPS is working fine.
Question - If I remove the CPS and spin it by hand with the ignition on, should the ECU send signals to the injectors to fire as well? Where does the ECU get its signal to fire the injectors?

Brazle

Sep 6, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
Thanks for all your help guys, I've been really busy the last few days. I did try out a few things Friday afternoon, but nothing I did seemed to make a difference.

I got the diags to work, and yes I was jumpering the wrong terminals.
At first it didn't give any codes, just a continuous blink.
Then after trying to start it a few times while pressing the accelerator, it gave me the "code 51", which is what dumbo said it would do.
After resetting it, it threw another code, this time "code 11" - I am 100% sure it was code 11, but I can't find any indication of what that could could mean. It's not listed in the PDFs, does anyone know what it means?

I think I had some of the vacuum hoses hooked up wrong, and I believe I corrected that. Is there supposed to be a VSV between the intake maniold vacuum source and the fuel pressure regulator? That's what the diagram under the indicated, and it said there's supposed to be another VSV for the EGR system. I think I only have one VSV, not two. And it has a 2 pin connector (red) that plugs into the wiring harness. Does this go to the EGR system or does it go to the FPR?

I don't think any of this is part of the problem, since I have confirmed that the issue is that the "injectors are still not firing", but I'm sure it would be better if I got the vacuum hoses hooked up correctly.

Any ideas on the injectors? Should I try a different ECU?

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
code 11 is interuption to ecu B+..i belive.
1.Main Relay Circuit
2.Main Relay
3.ECU
Not sure why its not on the TSRM Online, its in my 86.5 TSRM(Actuall Book)
I would check the "EFI Main Relay" and "EFI" fuse, but i think the fuse should be fine if your diagnostics work, also check the circuit wiring-not sure though.

http://cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=29

Your right there is a VSV for EGR and FPR, netiher well cause your car not to start, and the tsrm explains how to check them and how to route vacum lines/electrical.

Brazle

Sep 6, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
Well, that definitely seems like it could make the injectors not fire :)
I don't know why code 11 isn't listed in the PDF TSRM. That will be my next step then, I'll follow the instructions on page FI-33 for checking the EFI Main Relay.Thanks dumbo!

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
It would be highly unlikely that you would get spark and no fuel if it really was a B+ issue. Check the ECU grounds at the intake manifold, they need to be tight. Measure the voltage drop across them with the ECU on (should be small voltage, much-much less than 1 V.

Is the battery getting weak from all the cranking? If so, that can give a B+ error.

How are you concluding the injectors are not firing? At low speeds the duration is pretty small, so a regular voltmeter won't be helpful.

Brazle

Sep 6, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
I replaced the EFI Main Relay, and the error code does not persist. Engine Diags read all clear (continuous flashing when jumpered). There is power at B+ with IGN SW ON.

Battery is brand new and strong, I hook it up to a running car with jumper cables while I am running tests to keep the battery charged.

I am using a Noid Lite to determine the injectors are not firing. It is not flashing or lighting up at all. There is power to the injectors.

When it first cranks there's a puff/short series of combustions and then whenever I feather the throttle while cranking there can be a short burst of combustions, but none long enough to keep it started. My thought is that a small amount of fuel is being introduced by the Cold Start Injector, but no fuel is coming from the 6 main injectors.

Next, I am going to try a new ECU, unless someone can give me something to test that might be causing this situation: Spark is there but injectors are not firing.

PS: The online TSRM is for a 1990, that may explain the missing Code 11.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Do you see 12V at the STA terminal at the ECU when cranking? That should initiate an asynchronous pulse of all six injectors during cranking. You should also confirm that the fuel pump is getting 12 V during cranking by monitoring the FP terminal in the diagnostic box with a voltmeter.

An IGf problem will set a code 14, moot given that spark is being confirmed by the OP.