Crank Underdrive Pulleys

Suprarook

Ninety-Chew Mk-Tree
Mar 18, 2007
wisconsin/illinois border
I am in the market to upgrade my underdrive pulley or crank pulley ( don't know which name it goes by). I have a 92 N/A 7mge motor and thought about ditching the 10 lb pulley and going with something that would free up a little bit of hp and torque, along with a few more mods I am in the process of finishing. Unorthodox and OBX brands seem to offer lightweight pulleys and sort of affordable prices. I was concerned about the timing issue. A friend mentioned that aftermarket pulleys would throw the timing off on these cars and I was curious if any one of you have successfully upgraded that pulley and what steps I would need to do to get it done right. Any Tips !?

Suprarook

Ninety-Chew Mk-Tree
Mar 18, 2007
Ya see, my main concern here is that there is some kind of inner ring a little bit smaller than the diameter of the pulley that is on the car right now that is loose and I can physically wiggle it with my fingers, this could be throwing the balance off in a way. I have not yet removed the pulley to find out if it is mechanical breakage or whatnot. So basically what I should do is replace this with a stock, OEM part, maybe off of a parted out Supra?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
If I remember right, ATI is making one for the 7M now, but it's not listed on their site...

it's not cheap, but neither is one from the dealer. Find one off a lower milage engine (lots of N/A cars in junkyards...)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
It shouldn't throw the balance off unless it's slipped on it's hub, if so it won't be long before it breaks the bond totally and fails.

As poodles said ATI do a replacement (I have one) but not cheap, New stock isn't a whole lot cheaper and I'd hesitate to use one from a junker as it'll be just as old!

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Actually the ATI dampner is a bit cheaper than a new one. Stock weights 11 lbs, the ATI weights 6.5 lbs iirc.

Part #918525
ATI 410-298-4343
Get the dampner w/ the timing marks

You will have to turn down your crank bolt flange to 1.780-1.810".

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
jdub said:
Actually the ATI dampner is a bit cheaper than a new one. Stock weights 11 lbs, the ATI weights 6.5 lbs iirc.

Part #918525
ATI 410-298-4343
Get the dampner w/ the timing marks

You will have to turn down your crank bolt flange to 1.780-1.810".

is the ATI 6.5lbs with or without the AC ring? And if its with..how much lighter is it without?

Suprarook

Ninety-Chew Mk-Tree
Mar 18, 2007
YEAH THIS MORNING I WENT TO ATIPERFORMANCEPRODUCTS.COM BUT DID NOT FIND A PULLEY FOR OUR MKIII'S, I ORDERED A CATALOG, BUT NOW I HAVE THE PART NUMBER AND PHONE #, AND SOME GOOD ADVICE,,THANKS !!