crank shaft pulley removal problem

jza240sx

Formerly jz240kouki
Jul 18, 2009
New Jersey
IJ.;1398718 said:
I'd try the cheater bar and an heavy wall impact socket (not a big fan of rattle guns)

Once it's off remember to replace that bolt!

i already have the manual impact driver i just never had the chance to ever use it since im always using a breaker bar or a cheater bar

SuperNova

May 29, 2008
Grand Prairie, Texas
Go buy a 6pt 1/2in drive 22mm craftsman socket (one of the black ones used for impact guns) and use a breaker bar. Don't use a cheap off brand breaker bar because it will likely break. I snapped mine at the swivel, so I got a craftsman and gave it a good whack with a dead blow hammer and that broke it lose. Just make sure you lock up your motor somehow. That's how I got mine off.

It will be easier if you have it on an engine stand. That way you can put two flywheel bolts in across from each other (not threaded in all the way to hold the wrench) and use a large wrench to put between them, rotating the engine so that the wrench locks against one of the engine stands arms.

jza240sx

Formerly jz240kouki
Jul 18, 2009
New Jersey
SuperNova;1398757 said:
Go buy a 6pt 1/2in drive 22mm craftsman socket (one of the black ones used for impact guns) and use a breaker bar. Don't use a cheap off brand breaker bar because it will likely break. I snapped mine at the swivel, so I got a craftsman and gave it a good whack with a dead blow hammer and that broke it lose. Just make sure you lock up your motor somehow. That's how I got mine off.

It will be easier if you have it on an engine stand. That way you can put two flywheel bolts in across from each other (not threaded in all the way to hold the wrench) and use a large wrench to put between them, rotating the engine so that the wrench locks against one of the engine stands arms.

yea im gonna be getting one today. i didnt think of that before lol the sockets i buy from pepboys(since im closer to pepboys than sears) is made of the same material as craftsman but its all good im just gonna get impact gun sockets.

i bought the crankshaft pulley holder from toyota it works pretty well. my old pulley holder also got destroyed lol i never broke any of my tools until i had this motor lol i bent my old pulley holder with that socket in the pic and the toyota pulley holder broke that socket

boostindoo

Jul 18, 2006
raleigh
supernova, lol, thats how i lock up my engines!!!

impact sockets, and a 3/4" impact from harbor freight and u will never have this problem again.....becareful with the big impact, it will twist ur wrist....good luck

ive broken expensive tools before trying to remove crank bolts, just gotta get the right equipment....

jza240sx

Formerly jz240kouki
Jul 18, 2009
New Jersey
boostindoo;1398820 said:
supernova, lol, thats how i lock up my engines!!!

impact sockets, and a 3/4" impact from harbor freight and u will never have this problem again.....becareful with the big impact, it will twist ur wrist....good luck

ive broken expensive tools before trying to remove crank bolts, just gotta get the right equipment....

going with the 3/4 impact next dont worry.. i got this!!!

boostindoo

Jul 18, 2006
raleigh
jza240sx;1398898 said:
going with the 3/4 impact next dont worry.. i got this!!!

DO IT SON!!! GIT'R'DUN!!!!

100 bucks from harbor freight, had mine for over 5 years, havent failed me yet!!

now come back with the bolt!!

jza240sx

Formerly jz240kouki
Jul 18, 2009
New Jersey
before i keep going........

heres a pic of what it currently looks like

p1399550_1.jpg

you be the judge.. should i keep going with 3/4 impact gun or seek profesional help lol

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
The edges look a little screwed up. Did you use a 22mm or a 7/8? I've only had this problem one other time and it took a lot of work. My 1/2" snap on gun didn't even do it! I had to destroy the bolt!

I cut the head off to relieve the tension then took the pulley off. Then tapped the bolt reverse thread and got it out with a bolt.

jza240sx

Formerly jz240kouki
Jul 18, 2009
New Jersey
aphxero;1399576 said:
The edges look a little screwed up. Did you use a 22mm or a 7/8? I've only had this problem one other time and it took a lot of work. My 1/2" snap on gun didn't even do it! I had to destroy the bolt!

I cut the head off to relieve the tension then took the pulley off. Then tapped the bolt reverse thread and got it out with a bolt.

dam bro that sounds complicated as hell lol to be honest this is the first time i stripped a bolt and the first time i broke a socket hahah i used a 22mm 12 point then a 6 point.

jza240sx

Formerly jz240kouki
Jul 18, 2009
New Jersey
boostindoo;1399718 said:
u try torching it alil?

naa im good on the socket ill just buy a socket it will benefit me in the future..i was thinking about torching it but i always forget to ask my neighbor for his torch. Impact socket + breaker bar + cheater bar + torch should work??

hopefully lol

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
just bump start it to crack it loose..if you can get a socket on it then breaker bar facing drivers side point towards ground. pull efi fuse and crank for a sec. it should bust loose.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
12 point for crank bolt? thats your problem right there. i have done this in/out of the engine with any 6 point. 1 person held the driveplate, usually with a crowbar and did this while the oil pan was off or through the inspection cover, and used a breaker bar on the front. easy as pie. no flame or pb blaster