crank scraper?

forcefedsupra

aka, Turd Furguson
Jul 19, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
building a high hp 7m, just curious about crank scrapers. Do they make a difference? worth the money? does it matter if you're using a 6m or 7m crank?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Yes they can make a small difference, just need to be careful which rods you use as some aftermarket rods don't have the spray holes in the beam so it will wear the thrust surface on the piston skirt when you minimise the splash lubrication from the crank.

You have to order the correct scraper to suit whichever crank you have, I worked with Ishihara-Johnson to develop the 7M Teflon scrapers, they're very effective but a bit noisy if you have a quiet car (think going blubbbb blubbb on your lip with a finger) ;)

tank12.jpg

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
IJ.;1658570 said:
Yes they can make a small difference, just need to be careful which rods you use as some aftermarket rods don't have the spray holes in the beam so it will wear the thrust surface on the piston skirt when you minimise the splash lubrication from the crank.

You have to order the correct scraper to suit whichever crank you have, I worked with Ishihara-Johnson to develop the 7M Teflon scrapers, they're very effective but a bit noisy if you have a quiet car (think going blubbbb blubbb on your lip with a finger) ;)

Just a quick question on this Ian. Are the teflon scrapers that I have installed still good with the Pauter rods?

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
forcefedsupra;1658502 said:
building a high hp 7m, just curious about crank scrapers. Do they make a difference? worth the money? does it matter if you're using a 6m or 7m crank?
Hello Turd Furguson,
My 7MGTE is fitted with an Ishihara Johnson crank scraper for the 6M crank. It was a little tricky to get it fitted well, the crank is modified, but nothing a file and an hours work didn't solve. I haven't noticed any problems after 3K miles. There is a very small weeping going on near the front of the scraper, where it butts up against the front custom spacer, I fab'd up. Nothing I can't live with. Otherwise, the 7M seems to like it and so do I!
Van
attachment.php

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
mecevans;1658688 said:
What is more effective, a scrapped or windage tray? Pros/ cons?

A proper windage tray can be very effective but I haven't seen one for a 7M, Normal steel scraper will leave a film on the crank due to the clearence required the Teflon scraper is actually trimmed to contact the crank so acts as a wiper.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
IJ.;1659050 said:
A proper windage tray can be very effective but I haven't seen one for a 7M, Normal steel scraper will leave a film on the crank due to the clearence required the Teflon scraper is actually trimmed to contact the crank so acts as a wiper.

New if I waited I could post this question. Will a teflon scraper be alright to use with a custom 8 qt. oil pan with baffles and a windage tray? Or is it overkill?
I've been talking to James @ JE about using my oil pan as a footprint for a new al. custom oil pan. He works with SIKKY a lot on developing new products, he already has custom pans for Nissans and the Corvette and is considering making them for the 7M .

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
IJ.;1659182 said:
I used mine with the Group A Magnesium pan with baffles and tray ;)
Did th group A's use scapers? Im wondering if I should stay away from scrapper sbecause I don't have oil squirters.