crank repair

etoney1

Apr 1, 2005
maryland
I was quoted 2200 dollars for repair, reason being the crankshaft bolt came out while driving. This was my back up car. Do to the fact i need a vechile im going to bite the bullet and have it done. Can't afford to much down time because of my job. So the j series engines would be an option at the moment. What would u do? Buy the way my other car is an 89 n/a with a bhg which im working on at the moment. When it rains it pours. lol

SevenMKIII

No more Supra no more fun
Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
For less than that you can buy my rebuilt 7mgte with 0 miles on build...

Or I can pull the crank (6M) out of my other 7M...

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
You'd have to get a lot of lube with that... or a reach around anyway.

If I was going to spend $2200 it would be a completely rebuilt engine, not some shop repairing my crank.

If I was in your shoes, I'd fix the BHG on the NA and consider a nice reliable build for the 7mgte or buy a DD for $500-1000 and consider a build.

My $.02, for what it's worth.

*edit*
If you're in Indiana, Rumptis and I will do it...

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
That's riCOCKulous.

Buy a new shortblock from Toyota. Comes with a new block, pistons, rods, rings, bearings and thrust washers, and the cost is $2382.36.

Or... buy a new crank from Toyota. Cost is $677.65

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Geez $2,200 bucks buys a decent NA in good running shape around here. (Crank comes free with car:icon_bigg )

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
$2200 NA better be mint around here. :icon_bigg

Thats not a terribly horrible price on the shortblock. Could get it cheaper if you pay cash, no? I always got a discount on bigger items paying cash.

etoney1

Apr 1, 2005
maryland
GrimJack said:
That's Jay Marks pricing, they seem to include a good discount on all orders.

I was thinking that was high quote myself. Just being with a car in the northeast is not enjoyable. Guess i should pay him his 75 for check out get it towed back.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
^ Yeah, if you cant find somewhere cheaper than $2200 you aren't looking. Probably one of those deals where they don't like working on imports so they qoute kinda high. Because 'there isn't any room'.

Post in your region see if anyone would do it for you for much cheaper. Supra owners are always needing money.

etoney1

Apr 1, 2005
maryland
mkiiSupraMan18 said:
^ Yeah, if you cant find somewhere cheaper than $2200 you aren't looking. Probably one of those deals where they don't like working on imports so they qoute kinda high. Because 'there isn't any room'.

Post in your region see if anyone would do it for you for much cheaper. Supra owners are always needing money.

Its a import tuner shop here in maryland. Im thinking, just my opion he's more experiece with 2j motors than my 7m. I did post in the northeast region
on sf last week. There just a handful of 7m owners who do post

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
I would post in the NE section here on SM. :icon_bigg

Maybe the midwest is just better like that though.

TunerShop or not, $2200 is WAY too much, unless maybe if some of those car show models were working on it naked and you got to watch/film it and then afterwards they took you to a hotel room an..... and only then if you were the first customer in that program.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
$300 for the crank repair and the rest for >

1315-01-.JPG

etoney1

Apr 1, 2005
maryland
I was told the crank is toast, the key fell out, bearings and possible a new pulley saying the threads are screwed up. I bought a bolt and put it in. Even though damage was already done. Alot of woble in the crank shaft pulley. Will idle fine, just when u give it gas all rod knocking.

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
for $400 more than what you got quoted, you could get a JZ front clip from driftmotion or anywhere else. i'd go with the JZ series engine right now before dumping more money into the 7m. just my opinion.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
etoney1 said:
I was told the crank is toast, the key fell out, bearings and possible a new pulley saying the threads are screwed up. I bought a bolt and put it in. Even though damage was already done. Alot of woble in the crank shaft pulley. Will idle fine, just when u give it gas all rod knocking.

the bolt fell out and all the bearings went? how long did you drive it after it fell out??

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
The question isn't how long it was driven after the bolt fell out, but how long was it loose, with the harmonic dampener wobbling it's way forward, creating an unbalanced state on the front of the crank, which more than likely caused some very nasty vibrations along the crankshaft. Probably does need a new crank, all new bearings, and a new dampener. How's the front timing cover? Got any grooves cut all teh way thru from the dampener? Have to pull the motor, strip the bottom and front, check everything to verify that none of the rods and main journals in the block are damaged. This is an extensive job. Figure 700 for the crank, 400(guess) for a new dampener, 100(again, guess) for new bearings, extra 200 for timing belt, water pump, new coolant, oil, oil filter, gaskets, etc., leaves 800 for labor. Seems about right with all new parts.

This isn't just pull the crank, slap new one in and done...

etoney1

Apr 1, 2005
maryland
Due to me needing a car, and could not afford to much down time. This is why i made the post. I going to get a second look. Just as cruel said with all new parts that mabye in the right ball park. The 2200 bill is just my max.
Buying a built engine which is logical, having it put it would push me byond my spending limit.