crank pulley bolt removal, engine out of car

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
i just got my 1jz on friday :-D and i want to change the timing belt and water pump, and put on my light weight crank pulley which requires taking of the pulley obviously. what is an easy way of locking the crank to break the bolt free? i dont have an impact wrench, only a 2 foot breaker bar.

thanks guys
steven

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
the way I do it is put a crow bar or pry bar between two or three flywheel bolts while its on the stand.. sounds kinda forceful but thats how I do it. use the stand and some old flywheel bolts to stop the crank from moving then impact or strong arm the crank pulley off.

of course I suggest using new flywheel bolts for install after doing this.

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
Mk3runner;926235 said:
the way I do it is put a crow bar or pry bar between two or three flywheel bolts while its on the stand.. sounds kinda forceful but thats how I do it. use the stand and some old flywheel bolts to stop the crank from moving then impact or strong arm the crank pulley off.

of course I suggest using new flywheel bolts for install after doing this.

sounds like this will work :naughty:
i definately will use different bolts though lol

thanks

supr88

turbo addict
May 15, 2007
calgary or vancouver
impact gun! you need the proper tools
or take off the oil pan and jam a piece of wood between a rod and block. or use a prybar to hold the flywheel from turning.

Yotaholic

Apr 2, 2007
Nfld.Canada
I used a Mazda sst that I had. It didnt line up with the starter mounts as intended but it worked out none the less. 4ft bar and socket on the crank bolt and 2 guys to lay on the engine so it doesnt flip LOL .. Check your dealer or a local shop they may have a similer tool stashed away. Hope it helps :)

p926472_1.jpg

p926472_2.jpg

p926472_3.jpg

Ken

Apr 6, 2005
Houston, TX
if you have one, use a torch and heat the bolt, then take an impact to it.

also you can rest the engine on level ground, put a block of wood in the front and rear of the engine to balance, lock the bolt with a breaker bar against the ground, and hook up the starter to get the bolt off. that's if conventional methods don't work. make sure you have oil in the sump if you go this route.

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
heated up the bolt, came off with no problem.
i locked the engine by putting a tranny bolt in the block and a flywheel bolt in the flywheel and a wrench between both, work like a charm

bluemkiii

redmkiii's little brother
Jul 25, 2007
phoenix, AZ
sorry for the thread jack, but how do you guys usually tighten the bolt, I have an impact gun what psi should i set it at?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
i held the flywheel in place with a crowbar, usually torching the bolt will ruin the seal so replace that while you are at it. to tighten i did the same as loosen and torqued it to spec. but i did this while it was in the car not out

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
They should really be replaced anyway (only a few $$ and they're pulled down damn tight) Heating it would put a ? mark in my mind is all.

The damage done if it breaks or comes undone in use can be $1000's.

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
obviously i can get them frm toyota, but do i get one for a 2j?
IJ.;929123 said:
They should really be replaced anyway (only a few $$ and they're pulled down damn tight) Heating it would put a ? mark in my mind is all.

The damage done if it breaks or comes undone in use can be $1000's.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
toml;930049 said:
You said you had a 1JZ.... why wouldn't you buy a 1JZ pulley bolt?

It's not like he can just go to any Toyota parts counter and ask for a 1JZ bolt. Most of them don't even know the 1JZ exists.