Crank plugs

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
There is an old thread with IJ stating that crank plugs (that thread in next to rod bearings on the crank) are available from the dealer. I've called two dealers and neither has any clue what they are nor do they see them on parts lists.

I need a set of these and need them ASAP. Anyone know where I can get them?

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
They are an odd-ball thread (13x1.5mm).
Not a common metric set screw thread, nore a common metric hydraulic thread size, but..........

Very close (within about .003" on pitch, .010" on diameter) to a common 1/2"-16 set screw size.
I just tried one in a crank I am about to go through, and a 1/2-16 set screw goes right in, but is slightly loose.
If IJ doesn't come through with a Toyota P/N, the 1/2" set screws could be an alternative,
though would need a good helping of LocTite (besides staking them as Toyota does).

Or just find an old crank to steal some from.

Guess I will have to be extremely careful when I remove the rest of mine so that I don't kill any of them.

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Fastenal doesn't list M13 on their site either. And 1/2"-16, of course not. Just 1/2"-13 and 1/2"-20. George, are you sure you mean 1/2"-16? 13 and 20 are course and fine, respectively, so what is 16 threads per inch? Maybe its a standard set screw, idk.

Anyone have an old crank with plugs that come out easily that they can sell?

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
87witmoreboost;1413417 said:
Fastenal doesn't list M13 on their site either. And 1/2"-16, of course not. Just 1/2"-13 and 1/2"-20. George, are you sure you mean 1/2"-16? 13 and 20 are course and fine, respectively, so what is 16 threads per inch?

I was all wet, sorry.........
Had done a quicky match up against the tips of a dial caliper.
Guess my 4-eyes don't work so good.

Just put a thread gauge on them both.
The one that I took out of my crank doesn't match anything on my metric pitch gauge, sort of in between 1.25 & 1.5mm.
But the set screw that screws right into the crank is 1/2x20 on my English thread pitch gauge.

Personally, for where they are located, I'd stick with plugs from another crank.
You can pick up one 1/2-20 set screw and try it to see what you think.
I just run it into the crank again, and it feels good.
But I have blown things up before with some cock-eyed attempts on saving a buck here & there.

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Alright, everyone. Sit down for this one...

I checked McMaster-Carr for fasteners and they don't carry ANYTHING M13. I finally threw the towel in and called the machine shop to talk this out. They told me they run a 1/8" pipe tap through the crank threads and that it's VERY close. You can then put a 1/8" pipe plug in and your set. I grabbed a tap and plug from work and I know as well as anyone - pipe is sized weird, but 1/8" is NOT going to sub for M13. I grabbed a 1/4" tap as well, with a 1/4" plug, just to try it out. I came home, and who woulda known - the 1/4" tap fits nicely in the crank. After about 2-3 turns, it starts to bite. This is where it will cut it's taper into the crank. Even as is, a 1/4" pipe plug goes a few threads into the crank without even touching it with a tap.

So, in conclusion... If you run into this, get a 1/4" pipe tap and a set of 1/4" socket headed pipe plugs. Tap that sh!t, clean your crank THOROUGHLY, loctite a plug, and thread it TIGHT.

Last edited:

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Cool !
Dumb-ass me never thought about checking for it being a pipe thread.......
Most likely BSPT threads, which are just a tad tighter than NPT threads.