Cracked Turbo Housing????

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
My car has been running shitty lately, and it has gotten lounder, I was thinking, exhaust leak, valve tick, injector..ect... Well I put my hand under my turbo, and I felt hot air coming from under my heat shield. Also my hand had soot on it. Is my compressor housing cracked?? It cant be the donut gasket because that is to far down. It feels like it is right in the middle of the turbo, but it could be blowing from the back side, and just following the heat shield, so I don't know. Has anyone had this problem? Will it hurt it to drive like it is? I guess this explains that loud pop I heard, and why I only get 5 lbs boost at WOT and hit fuel cut.

Jason T

JZS161 Aristo TT
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland New Zealand..Aotearoa
AaronsSupraMKIII said:
My car has been running shitty lately, and it has gotten lounder, I was thinking, exhaust leak, valve tick, injector..ect... Well I put my hand under my turbo, and I felt hot air coming from under my heat shield. Also my hand had soot on it. Is my compressor housing cracked?? It cant be the donut gasket because that is to far down. It feels like it is right in the middle of the turbo, but it could be blowing from the back side, and just following the heat shield, so I don't know. Has anyone had this problem? Will it hurt it to drive like it is? I guess this explains that loud pop I heard, and why I only get 5 lbs boost at WOT and hit fuel cut.

Take the heat shield of the fn thing find leak replace gasket

Bet ya its the gasket between turbo and manifold

http://www.ma70.com/bishop92t/techtips/turboremoval.html

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
^ Like Jason said it is probably their but you probably would want to get that fixed because that will raise the temp under the hood. I have that same problem in my 87 Turbo and I had that in my old 87 turbo as well. They sell some good metal gaskets on ebay iirc.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
gasket between turbo and manifold

it MIGHT be fine, but I doubt it if it's been going on a while. Check those 4 nuts that hold the turbo on regularly...

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
I showed it to a Turbo buddy at work, and he said 80% sure its my Turbo to Manifold, or Manifold to block gasket bad. Explains it running rich and air/fuel mix guage all over the place too I guess.. I will order new gaskets today! Cross your fingers guys...:naughty:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
well, if the block to manifold it blown, it's probably because the studs have stripped out...

get Aaron's upgrade kit...