Cracked turbo housing - how much is ok?

bgim

Nov 16, 2007
-
I'm on my first rebuild, and learning one system at a time. The engine is all together except the turbo and accessory parts. Now I'm trying to learn all about turbochargers. I read a basic 20 year old textbook and some good internet columns, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by the terminology, and could use some practical advice.

The problem:

I've got cracks on two different ct-26 exhaust housings, both are cracked just around the flapper. One just has a slight crack, the other has three, the longest extending 5-8 mm from the wastegate hole. These were both working turbos. I heard this is a typical place for cracks to start due to hot gases funneling through a small hole at pressure. I'm sure somewhere there is a great discussion of it, and I would be grateful for a link.

If not, then I could use help. Is this just normal wear, a minor problem, or a prelude to catastrophic failure? On one of these I milled (ground with precision steel wheel on machine shop drill press, charged with 180 grit) the seat for the flapper just enough to be flat, and it looks like it would seal okay. Both also have a little play in the shaft, about 1/2 mm at the end of the intake side of the shaft, I guess, I don't have a dial guage to measure properly in the coolant opening like the manual says to do, so I can't tell if it is out of spec.

As I see it, I have three choices:
1) Is it worth buying the tools to measure if the housing has those cracks,
2) Am I fussing too much and making a problem where there isn't one
3) or are both turbos toast so I have to blow the cash on a new one anyway.

If I keep the turbo, should I avoid boosting it altogether to avoid further damage? I just need a turbo to last a year or two and not damage anything else, but it would be fun to learn to experiment with tuning with boost if it isn't going to be dangerous.

For reference: My goals are just to set up the engine for upgrades later and perhaps a modest performance increase now, so I certainly will plan to buy a new turbo and exhaust in the next year or two. Current mods are head port and polish - it was supervised by an experienced NASCAR engine builder, so it's probably ok, street performance cam regrind (Colt Cams), Titan 1.3mm MHG, exhaust manifold reshaping (an experiment what the hey), MSD wires, and and racing muffler that is probably useless until I get the rest of the exhaust system upgraded.

Thanks.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
if you have small cracks its fine, dont stress it. Make sure the turbo doesnt have any in and out shaft play. and to get an 'oem rebuild' for a turbo is about $300...

just had mine done, nicely done, 100% clean, no shaft play, all for 275...
just something to consider.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
small cracks are pretty much par for the course around the WG port. send one off and get rebuilt and and use the other to help offset

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
its really funny when everybody says theres is cracked, and when i took apart my 90's engine, the wastegate hole looked new. im guessing the old guy never boosted that much....

bgim

Nov 16, 2007
-
Thanks for the info, guys. I'm thinking I'll install the better one and plan to buy a whole new one later. Will small cracks be a problem when you rebuild to a higher output? won't this increase the chances of cracks worsening? How's the reliability of upgraded CT-26 units?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
A small crack around the WG port should be ok. The problem is when there are cracks inside the exhaust feed on the snail side of the turbo housing. I would take a close look there...the carbon inside hides the crack. These will get worse...the housing is basically useless.

Upgraded CT26 turbos are good for moderate power and will hold up well. Biggest I would go is 57mm to keep it reliable.

bgim

Nov 16, 2007
-
jdub;1119009 said:
A small crack around the WG port should be ok. The problem is when there are cracks inside the exhaust feed on the snail side of the turbo housing. I would take a close look there...the carbon inside hides the crack. These will get worse...the housing is basically useless.

Upgraded CT26 turbos are good for moderate power and will hold up well. Biggest I would go is 57mm to keep it reliable.

Belated thanks.