cps

Status
Not open for further replies.

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
I just tested my cps because my car is misfiring... and the tsrm specs said resistance should be between 140-180 but is at 183-185.

here is the test I did

I know that its not off by much but could this be my problem?

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
dont worry about the resistance being slightly out. I have 3 CPS's here that are all in the high 200 ohms range and they all work perfect.

Yes resistance can become an issue with a CPS and it functionabilty, but not until you get up over 1000ohm range from tests that I have done.

Misfires are one of the hardest things to diagnose cause they can be cause by so many different things. Start with the basics like new plugs if yours are old and checking the hi-tension leads (plug wires). Also, dont rule out fuel related issues either.

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
I changed the plugs, and just changed the wires. I tested the coild packs, ignitor, cps, AFM, and temp. senser. I thought that it might be fuel... but when I brought it to a shop they told me that it was not getting spark, they told me it was probably my valve cover gaskets leaking oil onto the plugs or the fact that some of my wiring was not soldered. I changed the gaskets and put better bolts on them

I also filled up with 94 octane and fuel injector cleaner to see if it would help.

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
Its misfiring at idle and under load. Its weird, it seems to go away under boost. If I hold the throtle at like 25%, it goes nowhere for like 2 seconds but then it starts to pull when I get into boost. It also does not happen at all untill the car warms up. I believe they were ngk plugs, the same kind that I have always used and some moroso wires. Thanks for the help everyone

Suprawannabe

meh... im lazy
Oct 27, 2005
Denver, CO
socc924 said:
Its misfiring at idle and under load. Its weird, it seems to go away under boost. If I hold the throtle at like 25%, it goes nowhere for like 2 seconds but then it starts to pull when I get into boost. It also does not happen at all untill the car warms up. I believe they were ngk plugs, the same kind that I have always used and some moroso wires. Thanks for the help everyone

Have you looked at the EGR? An easy way to tell is if you go WOT and it doesnt sputter.

Suprawannabe

meh... im lazy
Oct 27, 2005
Denver, CO
socc924 said:
I never even thought about the egr. ^That will be able to tell me if the egr is the problem?

Well if your fine when cruising and have problems at WOT and idle and mabe your real low RPMS your egr could cause your symtoms.

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
here's some cps info for you. different spec in '91 tsrm than '90

p396767_1.gif

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
there is nothing wrong with your CPS. Like I said in my first post, the resistance is not something to worry about until it gets high, about a 1000ohms. I have tested this several times. Plus, a CPS problem would not go away or get better when under boost or WOT. Heres a thing to check though that is related to the CPS, Check it just as you would at the CPS for the resistance, but check it at the ECU, this way you know what the ECU is seeing. Wire does build resistance as it ages. It shouldn't be much more then a few OHMs high if any at all.

EGR as stated previously is highly likely thing to cause this type of issue.

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
Ok, well a few more things. When I first went to start my car this morning all it would do is crank. So I went under the hood and played around with the wires going to the coil pack and the ones going to the cps. Sure enough it fired right up. I wish I did each individually to pinpoint the problem.

I just check it and there was a code 12. Then I cleared them and I dont get it anymore. Also... as a side note, its normal to get code 51 when you rev the motor while checking the codes at the same time, right?

I also hooked the egr directly to vacuum and the car immediately stalled.

Status
Not open for further replies.