CPS Question

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
I have a general question regarding the cps and the gears.

I removed the cps to take off the water housing. I did not mark the cps gears, will this result in the car not starting or running smoothly when I put it back on? I did not touch the cam gears or timing belt.

I am assuming since the cam gears and timing belt are lined up where its supposed to be, once I go to start the car, the cps gears will just catch into the grooves and all is ok. Am I right?

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
it is likely that when you put it back in you will be off a tooth(or 2). this isnt a big deal if you have time to mess with the timing. my friend and i recently had this problem but it only took a little while to figure it out and get the right teeth lined up. we were still unable to get it exactly right but i think that is due to the cams he was using. i think worst case scenario your car will not start and you will have to pull the cps off and reposition. this may have to be done multiple times but with patience it can be figured out.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
so this will effect timing even though the cam gears/timing belt were untouched? I dont really understand what the cps/gears do.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
All you need is this pic
picture.php

and set the timing to 0.

And call it done. Should take less then 1 min. to do everything.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I always look at that picture and wonder if that is how it should look "before" you put it in or "after". It does change as you insert it. I have always figured it out, but can't seem to remember.

Please clarify for me and the masses!