CPS Position on BHG Job

stolensupra

Gotta spray to play!
Jan 2, 2010
NORTH CAROLINA- Greensboro
Ok guys. I haven't found anything that directly references this and I've at the same time been following the TSRM, Dylan Wiggins HG Guide, and Haynes Manual (whichever was closest to me at the time) while disassembling my top end for a HG job. Before I began I set the #1 Piston at TDC 0 Degrees on the Crank Marks on what I Believe is the Compression Stroke (The Cam Marks were lined up as well) I also scribed and painted marks on the adjustment part of the CPS so I can put It at the same angle again. I've been super careful not to rotate the gears of the CPS while pulling it out, Cleaning it, and storing it. My question is do i have to make sure the gears do not rotate on the cps while putting it back in? I assumed I shouldn't rotate it at all but will it reset itself or will that become a problem when I'm finished with this job. Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys!

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

OK 5 Minutes after posting this I found Shaeff's awesome article on this. If anyone else was wondering....http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?38775-How-To-basic-timing-instructions-CPS-alignment

Pokey2301

Mar 2, 2010
Spangdahlem, Germany
it shouldnt matter about rotating your cps at all, as long as the drilled mark and the groove on the cps is lined up, no problem on installing it all,

i just changed the cps in my car and it worked great, just dont move your crankshaft

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
If you marked everything when the no. 1 cylinder was at tdc then you should be fine. You should not have to worry about rotating the gears if you marked the cps housing and the center part that rotates inside of the cps.

stolensupra

Gotta spray to play!
Jan 2, 2010
NORTH CAROLINA- Greensboro
That's the problem, my only mistake so far seems to be that I didn't mark the inside of the center cover. It should just sit according to the reference mark from the factory on there right?

pln

Get the gate!
Apr 10, 2007
eskilstuna.SWEDEN
To be 100% sure the timing is ok I always check with timinglight after, and then you dont need to waste time worrying about it when you´re working. cps always comes back in some different way no matter how accurate i try (my experience).

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
may be stating the obvious but the cams and cps decide on top dead center compression not the block. just make sure block no1 piston is at top. the cps rotor will rotate about 1/5 or less of a turn when installing. install the cps and rotate the housing till your marks line up. this should be close to the tdc compression. of course this is only so if the CAMS are LINED up so no1 valves are closed and on compression not exhaust tdc as per tsrm.