CPS Plug Re-Wiring Help

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Hi All,
My wiring on the socket (that goes to the CPS) is giving me real pain as two of the 4 wires on the other end of the clip (furthest from the CPS don't seem to be in properly and I have trouble starting the car sometimes if the wiring isn't where it should be. Once started it's all good and fine and i've gone past to an auto elec I know an dhe said he'd need to get another plug and re-wire it...

Can I bypass that plug with the appropriate connectors and have the correct wires going to each other?

(Just incase there is some fuse or something in the plug or if wires interchange, The auto elec pulled the plug open but for the life of me I can't get it open even with a flathead screwdriver pressing down on the part...)

Here is the pic (as you can see on the black wire on the opposite end of the plug it's somehow been pulled it seems from previous owner??? where not all wires are going into the socket properly.....):

If it's doable which wires do I join with which apart from the obvious?

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
i dont understand your question but it is pretty obvious which wires go where. if you are going to hard wire it just match them up one at a time directly as they are on the plug. i would recommend using the bullet style connectors or something that you can still plug in just be sure you label them.

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
zachm611;910424 said:
i dont understand your question but it is pretty obvious which wires go where. if you are going to hard wire it just match them up one at a time directly as they are on the plug. i would recommend using the bullet style connectors or something that you can still plug in just be sure you label them.

Yeah I know it looks obvious, what I need to do is fix two bad wirings which by previous unknown force have been torn kind of out of its socket placing... its still got wire in there but not all of it... so that's why I want to know if it's safe to re-wire without the socket bypassing it.

It does seem logical but without being able to open the plug I can't see inside whether or not its directly connected across or whether there are fuses within... I wouldn't think but rather be safe than sorry.

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
All done guys, did some solid searching aswell and Jonathan in one post recommended hard wiring and i've done that with the right goods, she starts without fail and perfectly. If only default searching only searched Titles not posts... makes the world of a difference...

Last edited:

MmmBoost

DDS Performance
same thing i did to mine when i was also having starting issues.

kinda funny... me and my dad used a spark tester while cranking... it was like...

"okay... no spark........ spark!.... no wait... nope.... yeah, got one..... wtf???"

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
mine was hacked to begin with when i bought it... it wouldnt even crank until hooked up push button start switch... then realized it wasnt getting spark.. coil pack wires were barely twisted together and cps plug wires were brittle and broke ended up wiring a lot of stuff myself.

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Mine guys was shitting me for over a year!!!! Because when we realised what was causing the problem don't know why never occured to me to look at the connector plug... I looked elsewhere along the wire and saw one that was cracked so I fixed that... then the starting problem was like once every month or two that it wouldn't start once so I'd wiggle it into spot... then it'd start.. but that's no way to enjoy a car.

This stuff really brought my mind down psychologically... only because the fix was oh so simple if one knows what it is. It never really bothered me much until last week and a half took it to an auto electrician mate and he's the one that told me what he thought the go was... and then had to get it hard wired and now it starts much better than new cars, 1-2cranks and it purrs...

Only reason I was scared to hardwire it until I saw Jonathan()1's post and I immediately yesterday went around and hardwired it all with my mate. I'll get a pic of how hacked up mine actually was :aigo:

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
I think it is pretty self evident how bad two of the wires had been basically snapped and unplugged almost... missing a lot of what's needed I guess to get a proper current across. Surprisingly the wiring on the CPS side has a new-ish feel where its not as stiff etc...
A being the side going to the CPS, B being the side going into the Cam area.