CPS issues and hardwiring question

derK

Mar 31, 2005
CANADA
we all have or experienced the faulty CPS wiring problem but my question is pretty simple.

Is it the clip that causes the connection problem or is it more internal like inside the actual CPS? becuase sometimes when my car dies on the road i simply pop the hood, undo the clip, clip it back in and my car fires right back up.

So would hardwiring the CPS be the best solution to this consistent "stalling" or do i have to dig deeper and open my CPS and fix the wires under the cover? I don't want to hardwire it if i don't have to.

Thanks.

88tsupra

Mar 21, 2007
long beach
I had the same problem as you.

How long do you drive before your car dies.

I usually drove my car for around 30 mins or so before it would stall and try to shut off.

I too, used to move my cps wire to start it back up.

But my main issue was not the cps wire or plug its self but my number 5 coil pack.

I replaced my coil pack and BAM. No more stalling.

I hope that helps.

derK

Mar 31, 2005
CANADA
sometimes it won't die at all. Even for a couple of days even. But sometimes it will give me hell to even start her up and when i do it might take 10 min for it to die again. It makes driving the car extremely uncomfortable knowing at some time the car may staal, just like the other day where it did on the highway...that sucked.

tbcmorris

SM Expert Thread Derailer
Mar 14, 2007
PRUVEN PERFORMANCE MILFORD CT
Rewire the male and female plugs using a better plug. Clean the pins as you do the repair. Be very careful and make sure you wire the pins correctly. That's the best way I think. Rewire it and wrap it thight so it can't move around. What causes the stalling I believe is a monentary loss of the signal. And it is the plug not the inner workings of the sensor.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Not all of us have this issue. My connector is original and has never given me a single problem. Do what tcbmorris said and then keep the connector and wiring insulated from the turbo cooling line, at minimum by using the method that was done by the factory. That line is the hottest external part of the cooling system and is typically why the wiring and connector fails.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Or if some moron previous owner leaves the front heatshield off the exhaust manifold...

The wires CRUMBLED when I was pulling my engine...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Can of CO Cleaner and a small pick to unclip each connector from the plug, clean carefully then squeeze the female a touch tighter before putting it back into the connector.

As Poodles said make sure the heatshields are in place and the wiring isn't brittle.

Also while it's apart take the time to set the Airgaps in the CPS.