CPS Help.

Boombastic

Proud mk3 Owner
Dec 10, 2008
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada eh?
Hey, I was wondering if there is a way to tell how far advanced my CPS is? The guy I bought it off of said it was adv. 2 or 3 degrees since he used 94 octane only. I have maintained the same octane but now I am having problems with the CPS as it may be faulty and not letting my engine start. I just want to make sure I can reset the timing to where I had it before or better when I most likely install a new CPS. Or should I just set it as zero and start all over?

Much appreciated. Cheers.

Last edited:

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Did you buy it as a part and then install it? Just eyeballing it in the car the adjustment bolt should be pretty much in the middle of the slot.

Now if you're car is not starting try wiggling the wires. CPS wires are notorious for going bad. It's either that or it's not installed right or it's just plain bad.

Boombastic

Proud mk3 Owner
Dec 10, 2008
gtsfirefighter;1325971 said:
Did you buy it as a part and then install it? Just eyeballing it in the car the adjustment bolt should be pretty much in the middle of the slot.

Now if you're car is not starting try wiggling the wires. CPS wires are notorious for going bad.

Nah I haven't bought another CPS yet.

Anyways I just fixed it. It isn't the CPS wires but the connector itself. I am going to wire in a new 4-prong connector tomorrow. Thanks for the help. Cheers.

Boombastic

Proud mk3 Owner
Dec 10, 2008
supradjza80;1326294 said:
The proper way to set timing involves using a timing light. I would suggest using this to set your timing to 10* BTDC with the diagnostic blocks jumped. The TSRM outlines how to do this.

Alright i'll have a look.

Thanks for all the help everyone.