CPS early/late interchange? & code 11

Alang

Nov 6, 2006
Las Vegas
CPS early/late interchange? & code 11

Do early 86-88 and late 89+ CPS interchange?
Is the plug the same even though different color?
My wrench says they are the same.

Story: Parked my 7mgte and wouldn't start the next AM. No new codes, and there was fuel and spark from the coil to the plug wires. Diagnosed as the CPS. Rewired the internal CPS wires to the outside, BINGO, started right up. Reset the timing and it starts and runs fine but haven't had it out of the garage yet.

Now have no codes except a new code 11.
"ECU (+B) Wire Severance, however slight, in +B (ECU)

Nothing else was touched.

Did that happen because the CPS was pulled?
Or because the ignitor was temporarily disconnected? OR??
Will it go away by itself or is there something new to look for?

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Any CPS will plug right in, even if the connector is a different color. Pull your EFI fuse for about a minute and put it back to reset the ECU, then see if the code comes back.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
If you don't follow JJ I'll decode for you... you can't get fuel & spark without a working CPS, it is impossible. Therefore this fix made no sense, and CPS was never the problem.

Alang

Nov 6, 2006
Las Vegas
I did my search and found Code 11 referrals. Did the fuse pull Still code 11.

Are those ground wires the 2 sets of 2 wires into each connector that connect to the same under intake mount as the FPU valve?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
There supposed to be different. But in the same general area. The ground should be bolted down by itself.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Any explanation why its not a good idea? Considering he was messing with things in the engine bay possibly with the wiring or ecu grounds etc and it takes about 2 minutes, its something I usually do before I start chasing a code. Considering code 11 is a stored code, not active (AFAIK) It would seem worthwhile, but maybe I am just retarded.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
GrimJack;1723378 said:
Probably because a significant portion of the 'code' threads advise you to pull the EFI fuse to clear codes, then check again to see if the code returns...

I was thinking more along the lines of the myth of reseting the ECU is the problem, as though microsoft built it. But yeah I agree, clear and see what comes back.

Alang

Nov 6, 2006
Las Vegas
Update:
Engine was able to start with a booster. Still carried the code 11. After the first start, it would restart readily. Stopped it. Removed cable and cleaned the negative battery terminal and cleaned and filed the ground wire connector from the negative terminal to the LF fender. Started fine AND code 11 gone and showed my consistent code 51 that has been there for ages. I haven't had time to mess with resetting and/or replacing the TPS but have a new one in stock ready to go. I intend to clean the other grounds also at another time.
I had found a severed O2 wire of the 3 on the harness side of the connector that must have broken moving the CPS in and out. Happily I found a similar white connector on my 84 parts car and wire twisted it on. And as above when the code 11 was gone only the code 51 remained.
My guy that put the CPS in, didn't bother with the diagnostic box short for timing light purposes and simply set the timing at 15 BTDC. His experience is that the short setback is 5 presuming the actual timing at the proper 10 BTDC.
A drive on the road still awaits and a proper timing recheck.