CPS Alignment

juncboi

Yeah, snooping around.
Jan 31, 2009
Sacramento
I took out my CPS to change the bypass hose that blew up and forgot to reference its position so now I have to realign everything.

I'm going off Shaeff's timing article but my CPS doesn't seem to line up quite like the picture sample. I have the cam gears at 12 o clock and piston 1 is at TDC (used a wooden chopstick) ::toothless::.

As you can see in the attachment, I have the CPS housing turned all the way clockwise. I've tried different gear positions but is the closest I can get.

Does this look right to any of you?

Attachments

• IMG00200-20100124-1813.jpg
    IMG00200-20100124-1813.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG00201-20100124-1813.jpg
    IMG00201-20100124-1813.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 24

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
You should turn it back a little because when you pushin the CPS, it moves foward. Just turn it back counter-clockwise and then try putting it back in the head.

juncboi

Yeah, snooping around.
Jan 31, 2009
Sacramento
IBoughtASupra;1497949 said:
You should turn it back a little because when you pushin the CPS, it moves foward. Just turn it back counter-clockwise and then try putting it back in the head.

Its even further out of alignment when I go back one tooth. The housing is turned all the way counter clockwise this way.

juncboi

Yeah, snooping around.
Jan 31, 2009
Sacramento
S.A. supra;1498040 said:
Do a search on it. There is a good example with real good pics on here some where. I tried to find it but no luck. I'm sure someone knows where to find it.

I found this one it explaines it pretty good. But the one i was talking about had two pics. A before you stab it, and then the way it should look once you have already stabed it.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38775

That's Shaeff's article that I used and that is why I was questioning the way mine looked.

Anyways, thanks to both of you for replying. I followed the TSRM procedures and ended up in the same position. I think I should be fine. Next step is the timing adjustment in diagnostic mode.

Good ol TSRM :thumbup:

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
Here is the other thread with the before/after pics:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101767

cps5.jpg

You are basically in the right alignment, but your CPS is maxed out one way. So there could be a timing issue there.

juncboi

Yeah, snooping around.
Jan 31, 2009
Sacramento
935motorsports;1498073 said:
Here is the other thread with the before/after pics:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101767

You are basically in the right alignment, but your CPS is maxed out one way. So there could be a timing issue there.

Thanks for finding another thread on this. I'm a bit worried now cuz I am maxed out one way even though everything is aligned. The CPS in that pic has it in the middle so you can do some fine tuning if you needed.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
I think all you have to do is set it up like is says in the write up. But when you go to stab it make sure that the bolt hole Is right in the middle of the part of the cps that allows it to slide up and down then stab it. Go staight in with it and let the gears do the rest. It should end up in the right position. I hope you under stand what i'm getting at it's kinda hard to explain. For me anyways. Good luck. I think you just start the cps it's self in the wrong position. not the part that spins and the gears, that part is right.

juncboi

Yeah, snooping around.
Jan 31, 2009
Sacramento
S.A. supra;1498097 said:
I think all you have to do is set it up like is says in the write up. But when you go to stab it make sure that the bolt hole Is right in the middle of the part of the cps that allows it to slide up and down then stab it. Go staight in with it and let the gears do the rest. It should end up in the right position. I hope you under stand what i'm getting at it's kinda hard to explain. For me anyways. Good luck. I think you just start the cps it's self in the wrong position. not the part that spins and the gears, that part is right.

Yes, what you say makes sense. Only thing is the teeth of the gear is slanted so when you slide it in, it will turn clockwise slightly. If you go counter clockwise one more tooth, it will not even come far enough with the housing turned all the way counter clockwise. Not sure if that makes sense.

Basically, it's adjusted all the way, one way or the other. The way I have it now is the most accurate.

I have her all put back together and took her out for a quick spin. Idle seems to be right on and the motor is much quieter than before but it still feels a bit retarded when I mash the gas. It could have been me since it's dark, raining, and cold. I'll drive her a couple more days and see what happens.

Thanks to all that replied but if anyone else has anymore suggestions, please don't hesitate to chime in.