Could a bad knock sensor wiring affect engine start??

SupraStoked

I was always a bit concerned by the fact that when i got my car, it had two knock sensors.
This wouldn't have been a concern of mine if I had a 7mgte under the hood..well i dont.
The (PERSON) for the lack of a better word, who I bought the car from had wired a regular wire from the ECU to the one knock sensor that was connected to the engine, he claimed the other one didn't work so he just let that one hang out hooked behind my fuse box.
The knock sensor that was connected had a ground attached to the chasis.
To say the least, it was a mess. He apparently had no clue that the knock sensor had a specific type of wire connecting it to the ecu.

I already ordered the new knock sensor and wiring from toyota and it will be done right this time.

I'm just curious, since this knock sensor that is currently connected to my block is most likely not transmitting the right signal to the ecu, could it be the reason my car is not consistent with its "good starts"? In the mornings, the engine starts up great and strong. In the middle of the day after using it on and off, the car starts a little slow and doesn't start strong at all. Will this be fixed with the replacing of the knock sensor/wiring?

I just replaced all spark plugs and spark plug wires less than a thousand miles ago. Any suggestions on what it might be?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Nope, starts won't be effected by KS issues. You'll have to define "starts a little slow" for us to be more helpful.

Btw there's lots of such "persons" (for lack of a better word) out there. Hell, there's a fair number of 'em right here.

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
jetjock;1844475 said:
Nope, starts won't be effected by KS issues. You'll have to define "starts a little slow" for us to be more helpful.

Btw there's lots of such "persons" (for lack of a better word) out there. Hell, there's a fair number of 'em right here.

The typical "I don't have any money so let's jerryrig it type". I have spent the last year fixing issue cause by such "persons".

SupraStoked

starts veryy slow as in reaches its idle slowly.

good starts sound like " vroooom!" and revs past idle then comes back down and idles fine.

bad one does not sound like "vrooom" at all and slowly climbs from 2-300 rpm to just under 1000 rpm.
no misfiring at all though, it just sounds like its stumbling a little and then idles lower than usual like on a good start.