Cost to replace valve stem oil seals.

JISupra88

Mar 22, 2011
Illinois
Just wondering what you guys have paid/charged to replace the 7mgte valve stem oil seals with the head ON the car. Seems like a time consuming procedure. Im totally capable but curious how much I would be charged at dealership/local shop.

LMK. Thanks

mcammarn

matt
Feb 24, 2012
olympia wa
i know you say with head on the seal, but i did mine without and it was 3.75 per valve. was about 70 for the whole thing, i supplied the parts.
it seems like no one wants to mess with those with the head on bc the cams have to be taken off. i actually had a shop, yes a shop turn me down.
but the easiest way to do them, is to put air in the cylinder your working with and make sure its tdc. remove keepers, springs, then your there.

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
mcammarn;1836834 said:
i know you say with head on the seal, but i did mine without and it was 3.75 per valve. was about 70 for the whole thing, i supplied the parts.
it seems like no one wants to mess with those with the head on bc the cams have to be taken off. i actually had a shop, yes a shop turn me down.
but the easiest way to do them, is to put air in the cylinder your working with and make sure its tdc. remove keepers, springs, then your there.

^^ or the rope trick

JISupra88

Mar 22, 2011
Illinois
yea. i figured the cost to redo the seals with the head on will cost way more. a buddy is wondering how much it'll cost. i told him to wait until he does the MHG since the head will be off but he's afraid the leaky oil seals will damage the motor so wants to do it now.

anyone got a ballpark average?

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
JISupra88;1836852 said:
he's afraid the leaky oil seals will damage the motor so wants to do it now.
Leaking valve seals will not damage the engine. It'll just burn a little oil, top it up when needed until your ready for a MHG. Why do a job twice, if you dont have too? Mine leak im not worried. I will replace mine with the head on, because I dont have to replace my HG as it was done awhile back.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Unless really bad they will usually only burn oil when cold. Simple solution warm car up before driving.

Also generally most shops are going to charge for taking the head off since that is the procedure is and that's what the labor calls for. Not really worth it if the heads going to come off later down the line. ESP if he's getting a valve job when it is off cause they will put new seals in then.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Maple191;1836881 said:
Leaking valve seals will not damage the engine. It'll just burn a little oil, top it up when needed until your ready for a MHG. Why do a job twice, if you dont have too? Mine leak im not worried. I will replace mine with the head on, because I dont have to replace my HG as it was done awhile back.

They can if they burn all your oil. On my old 7mge long time ago would burn a qt or more if I drove it cold. Hot was fine. No other leaks either.

JISupra88

Mar 22, 2011
Illinois
Maple191;1836881 said:

thats what i'm saying! i told him to just save up to get both done at the same time but he insists.

can lead a horse to water but cant make him drink ya know?

hvyman: yea i can see that happening. his 7mgte smokes when cold but you just gotta warm it up and its fine. doesnt seem to be burning too much oil. it just scares him thats all.

so a shop will charge you pretty much what it costs to remove head+labor to R&R seals? that seems right. i'll probably tell him to get arp head studs since its gonna be off.

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
mitchell ondemand shows the following for a 90 turbo mk3:
headgasket R&R: 10.3 hrs plus .5 hrs if a/c gets in the way
valve seal after head is removed: .2 per seal

final time would be 10.8+4.8=15.6 hrs

most shops around my area charge from 80-100
so ruffly $1248-1560 in labor + parts and possible machine work

JISupra88

Mar 22, 2011
Illinois