Cost of converting A/C to R134a

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
The local shop has my car to do an alignment and while it was there I had them check the A/C system which is shot. It's been near 100 degrees for a few days and I'm ready to get it working again. They said they didn't have enough R12 to fill my car and suggested I convert it to R134a. I've filled my car before and it seems to only last a couple months before it stops blowing cold air. They said they will also fix any leaks that they find, and quoted me somewhere between $100 and $200 to do it.

Does this all sound kosher? Is there anything I should know before I let them do it?

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
it costs about $120 to evac/fill a r134 system, so 200 to retrofit and fill isnt bad. Keep in mind when they say theyll fix any leaks they find, what they mean is theyll fill it and add a UV dye and look for leaks, and You will pay the additional to fix/replace any leaking components. it wont be included in the price. Retrofit is gonna be the way to go, r12 and someone with a machine for r12 is hard to come about and its much more expensive for r12 than r134

p.s. make sure theyre replacing the reciever dryer as a part of the retrofit service.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
This is a whole other ballpark, but if you are interested in some alternatives, this Envirosafe refrigerant is a great choice. It is a hydrocarbon based refrigerant. Its very cheap, and as long as you fix the leaks in your system, you can easily do it yourself at home for very cheap. I used this stuff in my old mr2. (Honestly, i did everything wrong, but i wanted a cheap fix. I basically started with an empty system that had been open for over a year and i closed it up and put a new receiver dryer and this refrigerant strait in with the oil and dye. This is a bad idea because of condensation and contaminants that were in the system from being open, but my point is the stuff still blew ice cold.) I have R12 in my Supra right now, and it has a low charge ( i can tell because bubbles appear in the sight glass) and the car fails to blow very cold on extremely warm days. I am planning on replacing the receiver/dryer, having the system evacuated and then putting this es-12 refrigerant in.

Again this is a whole other ballpark, but its just some food for thought if you want to get into it and have a cheaper alternative. If you decide to do something like that, i recommend you do some research, its a pretty easy topic once you know the basics of the whole thing.

http://www.es-refrigerants.com/

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I considered getting my hands dirty, but it's too freaking hot out right now to deal with it. I just want my A/C back :(

Thanks for the link, I've got some reading to do.

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
Nocheez;1047137 said:
I considered getting my hands dirty, but it's too freaking hot out right now to deal with it. I just want my A/C back :(

Thanks for the link, I've got some reading to do.

ive converted tons of vws and other used cars over to R134... and very very few issues at all... and this is without doing anything.. just suck the r12 If there is any left...out...Pump it down on vacuum for 30 minuts.. shoot a can of R134 oil in... 1 can of /dye/stopleak and then top off with r134..

when R134 came out and they had a hissy over everything had to be changed... turns out the only ones were FORDS fs or fx15 compressors.. they would literly plug the condenser up with gooooey stuff..
And the condensors wouldnt handle a retofit... so it was like 1,500 bucks to fix a ford a/c... were just about every other make would work just fine .....

Now... just fittings and can of stop leak refill tank they got at autozone be about 25 bucks...

btw i have about 12,000 miles on my a/c on R134.. it does have a hose leak around one of the fittings.. needs top off every 4 or so months..

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Biggest problem i have with R134a is the molecules are smaller than r12, or the envirosafe refrigerant that i posted, so if you have a weak point in your system, its more likely to leak 134 than a different refrigerant.

Who

Supramania Contributor
CyFi6;1047121 said:
This is a whole other ballpark, but if you are interested in some alternatives, this Envirosafe refrigerant is a great choice. It is a hydrocarbon based refrigerant. Its very cheap, and as long as you fix the leaks in your system, you can easily do it yourself at home for very cheap. I used this stuff in my old mr2. (Honestly, i did everything wrong, but i wanted a cheap fix. I basically started with an empty system that had been open for over a year and i closed it up and put a new receiver dryer and this refrigerant strait in with the oil and dye. This is a bad idea because of condensation and contaminants that were in the system from being open, but my point is the stuff still blew ice cold.) I have R12 in my Supra right now, and it has a low charge ( i can tell because bubbles appear in the sight glass) and the car fails to blow very cold on extremely warm days. I am planning on replacing the receiver/dryer, having the system evacuated and then putting this es-12 refrigerant in.

Again this is a whole other ballpark, but its just some food for thought if you want to get into it and have a cheaper alternative. If you decide to do something like that, i recommend you do some research, its a pretty easy topic once you know the basics of the whole thing.

http://www.es-refrigerants.com/

I believe you can mix the two (r12-es) and top it off. Legally your not allowed to but I have been told that it does mix and work in real life.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I wouldn't presonally...

$200 for the conversion? I wouldn't do it as that's telling me their just going to use a wal-mart special death kit and you'll be back in a year at the latest with a dead compressor.

I should know...

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
TaSe;1047779 said:
I don't see a problem with 200$ being a good price. The kid to retro fit it is only 35 bux or so.

Sweet! AC FTW

FTW indeed. It's been too fucking hot out and I've been waiting for nightfall for it to be cool enough to enjoy a cruise :)

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
whowouldfigga;1047797 said:
Kudos to the shop. Seems they were honest. Few and far between.

That's the feeling I'm getting from them. They stay honest and they will have a customer for life, and many referrals.

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
TaSe;1047850 said:
yea, my friend just got quoted 150 to do his for the same thing they just did to your car. I told him to go for it. What do you have to lose at the moment? Besides tons of body water lol weight

Hah, the last thing I need is to lose weight! I'm like 145 pounds sopping wet.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
TaSe;1047850 said:
yea, my friend just got quoted 150 to do his for the same thing they just did to your car. I told him to go for it. What do you have to lose at the moment? Besides tons of body water lol weight

That must be why you get better gas mileage with the AC off...

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
CyFi6;1047163 said:
Biggest problem i have with R134a is the molecules are smaller than r12, or the envirosafe refrigerant that i posted, so if you have a weak point in your system, its more likely to leak 134 than a different refrigerant.

Correct.

Best to replace your seals etc. before you convert. Also, as I recall I replaced my evaporator and compressor, cause if these components are weak they will leak, sooner than later.