Correct way of installing adjustable end links.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
I searched here and on the net, but wanted to know what our local SME will tell/show a nice link of how to correctly install adjustable end links with sway bars (I'm going ST, but don't think that other sway bars have other procedures?).
Thanks.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
make the end links the same length side to side and close to the factory length as possible. with the car on a level surface simply bolt the end links in so that the sway bar is parallel to the ground. this will prevent any bar preload

supraguru05

SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
when its not attached make it parallel to the ground then attach it. when its not attached to the end links you can put it at what ever angle you want as it just rotates in the bushings

supraguru05

SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
IIRC I believe that is correct, but I dont have any stock end links laying around. You will notice if the end links are the wrong length because the bar will be at a funny angle.

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
just bringing this topic back to life, when you lower the car, dont you need a longer end link than stock to keep the ends of the sway bar parallel to the ground? (hence the need for adjustable links?)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It would be shorter. And with stock sway bars Most people wouldn't even notice a difference. IF you want to see if you can or are just pickey go for it.

Also with after market bars its good to weld in some stronger tabs for the links to mount to.

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
Ah yes of course it would be shorter. I am using whiteline adjustable swaybars and have some BIC performance adjustable links. It's only really the rear tabs which need re-enforcement and I have some pre-fab'd tabs here for that very purpose :)