Corkey's '91 MKIII Dream Machine

Corkey723

Aug 25, 2010
Johnstown, PA
Well since the previous owner was bugging me to start a build thread, I guess I'll start one. Its going to be a slow process since its more of a free time/extra money project. I have another project sitting on hold now too. Thats the reason I called the thread the "Dream Machine", because everything I want to do to it can only be finished in my dreams, lol. I planned this trip, drove to Michigan, and returned back to PA within a span of 24 hours, so it was a sudden purchase with almost no planning and a bunch of inconveniences along the way, but I wouldn't have had it any other way. Got to meet a great guy and was happy to help him out by taking the car off his hands. Anyways heres the rundown.

Car is a 1991 Supra Turbo Targa with 189,000 miles on the body. Engine is a rebuild 7M-GTE with 27K and a HKS MHG.

Here is the mod list from when I bought the car
-Godspeed FMIC kit with 2.5" hard pipes.
-Full 3" devorced DP replumb WG tube (LIPP)
-Full 3" DP back M2 Exhaust
-Revshift solid poly Motor mounts.
-Lexus AFM
-FIC 550's with PnP clips
-Ebay Cone filter
-Walboro 255LPH fuel pump
-Takico gas shocks with TEMS control and eibach lowering springs.
-Miglia 1000 16x7 wheels with 225/50R16 Kumho AST tires.
-Energy suspension poly bushing kit. Needs to be installed some day.
-LoTek double pod pillar.
-AEM Tru Boost
-Innovate LC1.
-Stoptec slotted rotors with ceramic pads.
-Stage 5 RPS clutch and PP. Clutch and PP were rebuilt by Clutch Dynamics of Lansing. Clutch pads were rebuilt with MIBA, The Diaphram, Clutch springs were all upgraded at the time of the rebuild. Also replaced the TOB, clutch fork, and Pilot bearring.

The issue with the car when I bought it was the transmission was broken. He thought it was the thrust washer bt I havent gotten far enough to find out yet. It is currently out of the car awaiting parts and a trip to a local guy to rebuild it. I placed an order with Aaron at Driftmotion for the following:
-Marlin Crawler Billet Shift Fork for R154
-Marlin Crawler R154 Thrust Washer
-Marlin Crawler Shifter Socket
-Marlin Crawler Urethane Shifter Bushing
-Marlin HD Bearing Retainer
-R154 Transmission Rebuild Kit
-Redline MT90

Also picked up a set of radio brackets and a 2010 Scion T1815 radio to fill the hole in the dash.

So that should take care of any current and future issues I could have. Right now my plans are to finish the transmission repair and get it back on the road for a quick road test before the snow flies, just so I have a baseline on what to fix over winter. Also I am going to throw a set of Corbeau VX2000 in I have sitting around until I can afford a complete reupholstering on all the seats.

Here are the few and only pictures I have from the trip and the work done so far.

On the trailer, leaving Lansing, MI.
IMG_20120908_150652.jpg

My Truck (2000 Silverado RCSB 5.3 Z71)/Tow vehicle
IMG_20120908_150702.jpg

Pit stop in Ohio
IMG_20120908_192243.jpg

Supra enters PA.
IMG_20120908_210448.jpg

Transmission removal (powered by Mtn Dew) and my friends shennanigans with my driveshaft.
IMG_20121002_210218.jpg

IMG_20121002_210136.jpg

IMG_20121002_194534.jpg

IMG_20121002_194457.jpg

So thats it so far, transmissions out, shennanigans happened, wouldn't have had it any other way so far. I'll try and keep this updated, but it will be here and there when I get money to improve the car. Let me know what you think.

Corkey723

Aug 25, 2010
Johnstown, PA
Thanks guys. The car is clean as a whistle underneath and not a spec of rust. The paint could use redone as there a a few issues with it but im not worried about it for now, I just want to drive it. I just dropped the transmission off for the guy to rebuild. Depending on when I get the parts in, it should hopefully be finished and in by the end of the month.

suprman - As far as dreams, mostly its going to be a daily driver/toy for now. But I will be using for auto-x and hopefully start doing a track day or two when I have the money. Id like to say a 2JZ in the future but I kinda like the 7M. Not sure the route yet, but I dream small. Id say dream is 375-400hp track toy more or less. I

Forced, it was a guy named Rob (that1guy) Heres the ad on here - For Sale Ad

Yes IJ, we always have fun when were working on our cars.

Corkey723

Aug 25, 2010
Johnstown, PA
Well I have a little dilemma for the people of SM (at least those who look at this).

My pressure plate is an RPS PP and its not the smoothest and a bit worn. The disc is a rebuilt 6 puck which as far as I can tell looks brand new. The flywheel is worn and scored like the PP, I think its a factory FW, but cant remember.

Has anyone sent out their PP and had a new surface installed on it with success. Or sould I look into another aftermarket PP.

Im looking to see what peoples opinions are on everything. I would like to just reuse the disc since it looks fine. I also figure since the PO said the FW was resurfaced once, I would replace it. Now thats a whole bag of worms there. I dont want to go SUPEROMFGLIGHTWEIGHTALUMINUM like some some people tend to. Its a "daily driver" so I want some weight there. What do you recommend, get another stock on (if I can find them) or is there a slightly lighter aftermarket steel one people have had great luck with.

Please give me your educated opinions on this. thanks.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
surprises me how a good shelled Supra can be picked up that cheaply.. our cars are severely undervalued...

I would think hard about final power output before you deal with flywheel, clutch etc. Make sure you slightly overbuild at the very least (easier to do now and wont cost that much more in the end). Even if you go 2J.. the R154 and bellhousing stay if I remember correctly.. Cant recall if there is a difference in flywheel, I thought it was the same.

Corkey723

Aug 25, 2010
Johnstown, PA
If I am thinking correctly, I think even if I get the different bell housing (which is needed for a 1J/2J swap, I still have to get a different flywheel which means a new clutch so in the end I would probably swap the clutch and PP out either way. I think at this point I will just work with the stock 7M.

I don't really see a need to go to a JZ motor for me at least. Plus if the stock motor is in as good of shape as I think it should be (and Rob hopes it is too) then this should last a long time. I just want to get it running top notch with the setup there now, maybe a 57 trim upgrade down the road, but I dont see a need for more than that.

My goal right now, since the transmission will be built to hold power and last for a long while, is to find a setup that will hold decent power, but most of all be the most streetable/reliable setup I can get. I already have the 6-disc clutch, just the other 2 parts need to be obtained now. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction and not cost me a fortune. My big hurdle now is I am trying to buy a house, so money could be tight.

Corkey723

Aug 25, 2010
Johnstown, PA
Well minor update I guess to keep this thing alive. All my parts came in for the trans rebuild courtesy of Driftmotion. All the Marlin Crawler R154 upgrades, Redline MT-90 fluid. Also ordered a new South Bend Stage 3? Pressure plate and full disc clutch. Its rated at 400 ft/lb so it is enough for me now, so I guess ill sell off the RPS pressure plate and clutch to someone since it still is somewhat useable. Also got ARP flywheel bolts to re-install the resurfaced stock flywheel. So thats my update thus far, should have more once I get the trans back and get the car running again.

Corkey723

Aug 25, 2010
Johnstown, PA
Definitely a nice wheel. Nothing fancy, but it works well.

Well I finally got all my parts in and the trans rebuilt. In the process of reinstalling everything and hopefully driving it tomorrow or Saturday. I had the stock flywheel machined and went with the South Bend Endurance clutch kit. Its just an upgraded pressure plate and full disc clutch. Should be enough hold for me and my plans for a while, and still be very streetable which is the ultimate goal.
IMG_20121101_194230.jpg

Also, here was the cause of the trans failure, exactly what was suspected. Also the damage to the bearing face from the pieces.
IMG_20121105_183214.jpg

Also got my Scion T1814 radio installed, sounds good. So ready to get this on the road in time to put it away for winter. Lol.

Corkey723

Aug 25, 2010
Johnstown, PA
And its alive! Got everything buttoned up today on it. Runs great, although a bit rich like I thought it would.

Now heres my next problem, I could use some insight before I start digging, in case it something stupid. The car has no tail lights, turn signals do not work at all, and I have no dash lights. Not sure if its one common problem or miltiple ones. Any suggestions?

Corkey723

Aug 25, 2010
Johnstown, PA
Well I got the turns working, didnt have the hazard switch hooked up. The tail lights I believe may be the light out box in the trunk, going to bypass it tomorrow and see if it works. That should leave me with only the dash lights, and I have no clue where to go from there. All the button backlights are off, but the indicators and gauges still work.