Cops pulled me over today..

steveo

Dec 15, 2008
Alberta
Wow, so I was on my way to work just trying to get there at a decent time so I was speeding... I looked in my rearview just to check out whats going on and see the lights as he is turning around. He catches up to me as I sit at the red light. I am turning right and he pulls behind me and turns on his lights. I'm starting to shit my pants because I don't really have extra money laying around. He comes up does all his shit and goes back to his car. He sits in his car for a good 10-15 minutes before he starts walking back up to the car. He has a wad of papers and I begin thinking this will not turn out very well... He starts talking about how he could have given me a tint ticket, a speeding ticket, and apprently I didn't signal when I changed lanes but he didn't know for sure. Then he hands me this one piece of yellow paper and says "I am only going to give you one ticket for the oversized exhaust, it is lowest dollar amount for the tickets I could have given you and there is no demerits against your license." He takes the imprint of my exhaust, I shake his hand thanking him, and we both drive away. That was my fun filled morning. It pretty much made my day... I just thought it would be a funny story to let some fellow supra owners know.

steveo

Dec 15, 2008
Alberta
I plan on it... Even the cop said to stick something in it... Like they don't look for it... They hear it then they see it. What they don't hear they don't see...

ERA- you should have fun with that one... 4 1/2 inch tip? That is what i've got...

steveo

Dec 15, 2008
Alberta
Well good luck with that lol. I might change mine out. I've got another laying around but the inlet is I believe 2.5 inches I am need three...

'85 supra

garagedoor man
Aug 27, 2008
georgia
So oversized exaust, means it too loud? I run magnaflow 14815 muffler, its no bigger than any other exaust but it not silent either. He was pretty cool though. So if you jam a silencer in it doesn't that restrict air flow?

steveo

Dec 15, 2008
Alberta
Ya he said the tip can be no larger then 2.25 inches... That is half of what I have right now... I personally don't think my car is that loud but I guess not...

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
WTF they regulate tip size?

thats like regulating the size of the cow balls that hang from trucks

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
threre are multitudes of cars with exhaust tips bigger than 2.25". For example, my old man's G35. So are these cars getting ticketed as well?

also, what city do you live in? sounds like a BS ticket to me.

Edit - this concerns me, as I just put a nice HKS dragger system on my car. This system is about 25db quieter than my last custom system, which had dual 2.5 tips (which never drew attention from the law). I'll be pissed to say the least if a ticket comes my way because of the new exhaust.

Last edited:

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
out here CHP can but probably wont ticket us for any type of modded exhaust. dp meters are in certain cars so they can nail us for that too.

oversized exhaust can be a fight with the cops over mainly sound. but either way its another way to jam up a day with bullshit.

steveo

Dec 15, 2008
Alberta
Well I don't know I live in Edmonton, Alberta... Apprently they are "cracking down" on noise and that junk. But the cop didn't do a test on my exhaust. Although I know they have been known to be out there doing it. My mechanic who drives a harley got dinged something like 400 dollars, so I am happy that didn't happen to me. I mean I don't like or agree with the terms of the ticket but the officer was nice enough to give me the ticket that would give me no demerits and was the lowest dollar amount.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
I dont think the cop gave him the ehaust ticket because of his exhaust. I think he gave him the exaust ticket as in "listen, we both know you were speeding, and I gott a give you a ticket. On the other hand I dont want to ruin your life so instead of the speeding ticket I'll just give you this exhaust ticket, so your insurance doesnt go up." I'd take that over a speeding ticket any day!

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
yeah, well, speeding tickets aren't that cheap either...

20km/h over is going to cost you $120.

and I had a look at the local laws, they define a "widened" exhaust tip as being illegal. talk about grey area.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
kotu100;1374774 said:
whys that lewis? they both give you a point anyway, and exhaust tickets arnt cheap $100 iirc

I know for a fact that a speeding ticket is 2 points here. I could be wrong but the exhaust ticket is 0 points, not 1. According to my insurance agent, the only violation others than a moving violation that gets you points, is if you have an invalid inspection sticker, and seatbelt tickets, because those 2 things make you an increased risk of a payout. Even if it is 1 point, one point is better than 2. This would probably be a good question for Adjuster.