cooling..

Falken

May 31, 2009
Los Angeles
ok guys sorry for being such a newb... what radiator coolent would u use on a 1jz with a koyo radiator? i used to have redline fluid but im in a budget what would be a good replacement for redline?

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
why not just use Toyota Red? I understand that a lot of folks want some enhanced cooling capabilities and such, but I really haven't seen much compelling me to spend a fortune on coolant.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Dylan JZ;1651632 said:
why not just use Toyota Red? I understand that a lot of folks want some enhanced cooling capabilities and such, but I really haven't seen much compelling me to spend a fortune on coolant.

If you're trying not to spend a fortune I am not sure that $30 a gallon Toyota red is really the right stuff for you haha. Look up Zyrex G05 i think it is called, a lot of guys run that including myself, it's supposed to be as good as genuine Toyota for a lot less money.

Falken

May 31, 2009
Los Angeles
damn nice... i have a koyo rad, looks like it takes 2 gallons, do i use one gallon of toy red and fill up the rest with water? or just fill the whole radiator with toy red?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Its anti freeze in winter and coolant in summer. Same thing. 50/50. To much water and when the engine gets to opt temp the water will boil. Point of the rad cap is to increase pressure and boiling point.

You always want a 50/50 mix.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Well, it can all depend.. in hotter climates, one can get away with a little more water in the mix, as where in colder climates, one should probably stick to the prescribed 50/50.

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
it was posted on SM somewhere where they tested different mixtures of anti freeze and the one with 20% coolant and 80% water tested the best for cooling. 50/50 was best for freezing conditions. they also added water wetter to the 20/80 solution and it dropped the temp down even more.

and no, you dont always want 50/50.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
In hotter temps water is going to want to boil faster. Pressure adds heat and water boils at 212. cap is 13psi which pressure raises boiling point. IF you run straight water your water will boil. Run too much coolant and you wont get the cooling efficiency you need.

Water wetter is completely different story as people have had a lot bigger drop in temps from that alone. Its not always good as if you drop the temp too much you will be stuck in warm up mode if still on stock ecu. Yes you can run less coolant with water wetter as it drops the temps, but that is different.

50/50 is all you ever need. No matter where you live as long as your cooling and engine are up to spec. If you live in super cold climate you should already have block warmers whcih might be necessary in some places.

Run 50/50 distilled water and toyota red with a filter in a clean coolant system and as long as you dont have a bhg or some kind of problem you will have a clean rust free dirty system.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Really? I have had straight tap water boil on me many times on my 70 nova and supra. Why do you think they have coolant or in the winter anitfreeze in the first place. I dd my car too.

There would be no use or hazardous waste for coolant if water didn't boil and no manufacture would use coolant if that were the case.

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
http://www.challengers101.com/CoolantMix.html

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

hvyman;1653929 said:
Really? I have had straight tap water boil on me many times on my 70 nova and supra. Why do you think they have coolant or in the winter anitfreeze in the first place. I dd my car too.

There would be no use or hazardous waste for coolant if it didn't boil and no manufacture would use if that were the case.

more for corrosion than anything. i run straight water only cuz i have to top it off every other day (heater core leaks) and im too lazy to fix it.

all thought its been a little cold in cali, ive driven long distances (100+ miles) non stop from sd to irwindale at an average speed of 88 MPH (gps verified) with no cooling issues.