cooling gremlin

my7mgte527

i got cooling gremlins again... this time the 2 eletric fans are not working. i wired them up to the aux cooling fan . i had to call the dealer for that 1... now the fans dont work and cars is over heating... any ideas of what it could b. im thinking its a eletrical problem but idk if the cooling fans have a relay or a fuse that goes to it... :1zhelp:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Let me get this straight your using main engine e fans that are wired for the tiny a/c fans?

That wont work. They only come on when the a/c is on or your engine is above 210* or so.

Or is it just the 2 small fans dont work and you still have clutch fan. If thats the case those not working is not the problem for overheating.

kueves87

Oct 18, 2009
tucson
YA wiring the main cooling fans to the small aux fan that only turns on will not cool the motor unless you have installed a larger fuse and thicker gauge wiring cuz it'll just blow a fuse almost immediately. plus if you get them running you need to make sure they are blowing towards the motor, cuz if you wire them backwards it'll be blowing air the wrong way and cause overheating.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
You blew the relay.
The proper way to run e fans is to wire in a relay to each fan.
In some cases, a 30amp relay is just barely enough for the current draw.
I installed a radiator fan switch in the water elbow, and ran two independent relays off there, each with it's own direct line to the battery.
Problem with that location for the rad switch is that the fans would run for at least five minutes after shutdown, because the fans can't cool the reference(water elbow) coolant.
The proper way to do it is to weld a bung into the radiator itself, and wire the radiator switch at that location. That's why car companies do it that way.
But then I got smart and put a new oem shroud and belt-driven fan on. never had a problem since,

my7mgte527

the a/c fan relay had 2 much on it so me and my father decided to rip out the ash tray and run 2 toggle switches for the time being. i kno where is a kit out there ill just have to find it one day but if wana do eletric fans it would be best to find the right kit for it if not then it would be ur best bet o run toggle switches just to make it a simple instal

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
my7mgte527;1741145 said:
the a/c fan relay had 2 much on it so me and my father decided to rip out the ash tray and run 2 toggle switches for the time being. i kno where is a kit out there ill just have to find it one day but if wana do eletric fans it would be best to find the right kit for it if not then it would be ur best bet o run toggle switches just to make it a simple instal

What did the ashtray have to do with running toggle switches?
And I think Hvyman was trying to say that you CAN'T run engine fans on the AC relay.
If I recall correctly, the ac fans only come on if the ac is indeed on, OR if you exceed a dangerous temperature- something like 225 degrees or something.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Yes they come on when the engine is too hot or anytime the a/c is on.

And ya i meant cant.

Can always either refil the clutch fan with new fluid or get a new or good used one. The 1hp gain you get from removing it is lost in amp draws on the alternator.

my7mgte527

well the fans i have now work fine and i think the engine running 2 hot would b from the blown head gasket or the sylicone stuck in the bottom end by the freeze out blugs but the car runs fine now so im not worried due t the fact im in the process of building a custom 7mgte and planning on making a goal of 900 2 the wheels with the propper tuning of course