cooling fan(s)

turbotrev

Goin WEEEEE on my gsxr600
Aug 7, 2006
Clinton, MO
ok guys ive been stumped for awhile on the cooling fan(s) thing.

im gunna start building an autocross weekend racer when the money starts coming in any who,

i have the FAL dual fans but was wandering if i should go with the mech. fan for the racing for more reliability.

im looking for some input on this subject and anything else toward cooling for road racing

oh ya engine will be 1jz in a 87

trev

SirLoki

Aug 8, 2007
Fullerton
turbotrev said:
ok guys ive been stumped for awhile on the cooling fan(s) thing.

im gunna start building an autocross weekend racer when the money starts coming in any who,

i have the FAL dual fans but was wandering if i should go with the mech. fan for the racing for more reliability.

im looking for some input on this subject and anything else toward cooling for road racing

oh ya engine will be 1jz in a 87

trev

id go hydro fan since when you autox youll be on top of 2nd gear majority of the time.... electric fans dont speed up when you rev the engine.

turbotrev

Aug 7, 2006
Clinton, MO
i will need the electronics for the hydro, right?

how will the hydro be better than the e-fans or mech.?

what other cooling things should i look into?

SirLoki

Aug 8, 2007
Fullerton
turbotrev said:
i will need the electronics for the hydro, right?

how will the hydro be better than the e-fans or mech.?

what other cooling things should i look into?

if you got a complete 1jz from a jza70, you have the opportunity to pick up the whole hydrofan setup as well, the hydro fan is run off its own ecu that controls fan speed and load based on the sensors of the engine......

mech fan works good too since it runs off engine speed, its mounted to the water pump.....

e-fans are pretty much off and on and you are limited to the full capacity of the fan motor.

Last edited:

turbotrev

Aug 7, 2006
Clinton, MO
i plan getting a front clip so hopefully it will have it

i know

and if i run the e-fans i will be running them of a switch to run all the time

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
I have the fal fans right now. I dont do autocrossing, but they cool fine for me. Excpet with the a/c on full blast while on the highway :( around town w/ the a/c they're fine though

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
SPAL's extreme fans would probably have plenty of power if your only use is racing. (Not so good for DD since the motor is not sealed)

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
I read that the stock fans spin at the right rpm for the most efficient cooling....better than those electric fans.

Just have a switch for the aux fan like Poodles suggested.

Cheers,
Roy

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
don't skimp on cooling if you're autocrossing or road racing...

get a better radiator, get a good fan shroud, replace the T-stat, get GOOD coolant hoses and clamps, good radiator cap, replace waterpump (OEM AISIN, don't get a cast impeller one), fan clutch, do a good flush (when the water pump is off, you can get a hose in there and knock a lot of crap out), and run toyota red coolant

turbotrev

Aug 7, 2006
Clinton, MO
i have the following already: koyo rad, hard upper pipe, and fal fans

ive just been wandering if the fal's will handle the load and not melt when racing

im thinking of trying a fal mech fan but thats still in the air

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
mkIIIman089 said:
Or straight distilled water with your choice of additive.

if you want to watch your head get eaten away to the point that it blows the headgasket (I'm not kidding here, I've seen it first hand)

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Then they didn't use a good enough additive.

Also, this is for one weekend at a time I assume, not a full time DD.

turbotrev

Aug 7, 2006
Clinton, MO
most of the time it will weekend only but i have a feeling i will drive it to school more then i will want to lol

since i work at a Toyota dealer i will more than likely use all toyota fluids

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Poodles said:
if you want to watch your head get eaten away to the point that it blows the headgasket (I'm not kidding here, I've seen it first hand)
What? Ive never seen any instances of that. I dont see how distilled water and a little water wetter can eat the head away.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
water wetter does NOT have the protection of coolant, none of them are rated for use in protecting the system (well, I think one is, but I forgot which one)

ask IJ about why he uses only toyota red coolant now...

turbotrev

Aug 7, 2006
Clinton, MO
ok enough on the water wetters b/c they just help electrolysis!

im gunna run toyota coolant

i still dont know about the fans tho?