Coolant question

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
Would not Having a Thermostat Keep the engine from pulling from the Reservoir?

Car Runs fine keeps temp, doesn't fluctuate or anything like that but It seems to not pull from the reservoir. after driving it will spit fluid out the overflow tube at end of reservoir. Not a ton but eventually after a month of driving and parking it will need fluid added because of the little that will get spit out each time.

I picking up a thermo for it finally. haven't had a lot of time with the car this year. I just wasn't sure if not having it would cause this to happen, or if it was a cap issue

Thanks

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
No, not running a thermostat would not cause this. Sound to me like you have a leak (internal or external), large enough to where when the engine cools, it's pulling in air from the leak rather than coolant from the overflow. I would not run a thermostat until diagnosing and fixing your coolant system. If enough air gets in while running a thermostat, it can keep if from opening and cause an engine overheat, which on a stock 7m, can be catastrophic. Ask me how I know. :naughty:

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
Interesting. I'll do some investigating. Engine has been pulled and rebuilt no leaks anywhere (No oil or coolant coming out of anything except the overflow by reservoir like I described earlier) The oil is perfect on the way out, and I have flushed system and its not oily.
I'll see what I can find!
I appreciate the info, Thank you!

UPDATE: Spot on MArkIII4Me

Hadn't checked on car in a long while and went into garage today and on opposite side of radiator it had a small puddle and the bottom on Rad looked like it was leaking. however small the crack was before finally had enough when I parked it last.

Are there some decent Oem Type replacements anyone recommends? Not looking for a massive multi-core system. something that works well, reliable and Oem type fitment.
Thanks guys!

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Personally, I think your choices for a known-quality unit are OEM ($$$$) or aftermarket aluminum (multi-core). The aftermarket ones look nice, but create a potential failure point by putting the radiator/shroud a lot closer to the spinning fan.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The factory replacement is still Nippondenso at $500 or so, but manufacturing is in China. So I won't be buying any myself. I don't care about the China part, adjust the price after the labor cost was nearly eliminated.

I have no idea on the quality of some after market replacements, but the supplied picture preview at Rock Auto is correct for an automatic. The price seems a little low.

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
I saw those ones for 80 and 90$ for the Auto. I wasn't sure about quality with those either as they have plastic top and bottom molds.

Summit was offering the same premium Rad as well , but I have a manual.