Coolant Question

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
I did a complete rebuild, ladaldadada. Redid EVERYTHING new everything.

I have about 60 miles on it and I'll notice every once and a while there will be a silver dollar size puddle of coolant under the engine. its right at the front of the engine, and I'd think the water pump but its tight... where else could I look? Its not bad at all, its a small amount of coolant over a long amount of time but it needs to be fixed.

Also, could someone post the diagram of all the coolant passages? Thanks.

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Maybe it's your radiator, or a hose connecting to it. Possibly old and cracked, or your rad could have a bump and slightly cracked etc... Did you look under and try to see any wet areas?
eric

turbo

Mr. Clean
Apr 27, 2005
Calgary
Recheck the hose that connects the radiator to thermostat housing and if the clamp is on far enough. Mine did the same thing until I readjusted the clamp.

Geoff

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
I just got the radiator fixed, that was leaking but it wasn't the same leak. so I'm SURE that's 100%

all the clamps are good, as are the hoses, but i will try re-adjusting them.

maybe it was a vacuum diagram i was looking at, not coolant, oh well :)

Boosthpy

Nov 21, 2005
Idaho Falls
I know it sounds dumb but maybe you left the drain plug to the radiator a little loose if you drained it by that. Better check jic.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Boosthpy said:
I know it sounds dumb but maybe you left the drain plug to the radiator a little loose if you drained it by that. Better check jic.

naw, its definatly coming from the front of the engine... that's why i suspected the water pump...

its dripping off the front of the engine, this is for sure.

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Are you sure it's not coming from one of the sensors, I did a pressure test on mine before I started it, and found a small leak coming from a temp sensor.

coolantflush_1h.gif

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
check the hose that shaped like a 90deg bend.Its right under the cps and tucked in behind the thermostat housings just above the water pump.
In the pic above see the 2 sensors on top of eachother,its the hose under that. It joins onto the metal pipe that runs "to heater"
i had it leak and burst on me one time and it was leaving little red dots.had me stumped for ages till i decided to remove the water pump.got to the ps resivour and saw the slightest split in the hose.

Anh

Apr 6, 2005
London
miggles said:
check the hose that shaped like a 90deg bend.Its right under the cps and tucked in behind the thermostat housings just above the water pump.
In the pic above see the 2 sensors on top of eachother,its the hose under that. It joins onto the metal pipe that runs "to heater"
i had it leak and burst on me one time and it was leaving little red dots.had me stumped for ages till i decided to remove the water pump.got to the ps resivour and saw the slightest split in the hose.

That L-hose (hell hose) tends to leak alot of coolant from even a small hole or split. It makes alot of noise too, so spotting a leak when the car is hot isn't too difficult.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
87_7MGTE said:
are you sure its not the water pump itself? check the pee hole.

wtf is the pee hole?

I THINK i found the problem... I watched it for about 10 minutes today and its leaking from in between where the water pump meets the block and where the fan meets... obviuosly it can't be seeping through metal so it must be the water pump bearing!

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to swap this out and see if it cures the problem-0

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
87_7MGTE said:
pee hole = the little hole on top of the water pump. if water comes out of it, it means you water pump is shot.

oooo, maybe its that!

I'm pulling it out this weekend so we'll see.

thanks for the help everyone