Coolant problems.

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
I can't get the air out of my cooling system. The car just wont get warm enough for the thermostat to open fully with the rad cap off, it opens for 2 seconds then shuts.. I've sat there with it at 3500rpm for 10 minutes and it still wont fully open and dump, If I drive it with the cap on it functions properly.

Tonight I drove it, parked it.. went into a store came back out and it had a puddle of coolant under it, the overflow was full and spewing. It has a huge f*cking air lock somewhere and its just not bleeding.

New thermostat I guess? Sound like a BHG? I don't get it, it works fine with the cap on, besides the air lock. What can I do to get the air out? its driving me insane.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Island_Yota;1331531 said:
I can't get the air out of my cooling system. The car just wont get warm enough for the thermostat to open fully with the rad cap off, it opens for 2 seconds then shuts.. I've sat there with it at 3500rpm for 10 minutes and it still wont fully open and dump, If I drive it with the cap on it functions properly.

Tonight I drove it, parked it.. went into a store came back out and it had a puddle of coolant under it, the overflow was full and spewing. It has a huge f*cking air lock somewhere and its just not bleeding.

New thermostat I guess? Sound like a BHG? I don't get it, it works fine with the cap on, besides the air lock. What can I do to get the air out? its driving me insane.

Thats what happened with my bhg, I hate acting like any coolant problem is bhg but just saying that was my big symptom. Its exhaust gas getting past the head gasket into the coolant, not air trapped.

Check you coolant over flow tank, it probably has oil sludge in the bottom.

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
Nope tank is clean, coolant is clean. Im worried it might be the beginnings of a BHG but I bled it today successfully,parked on the steepest hill I could find in my yard(had to 4x4 the thing to get it there). Got some air out, I can still hear a bit rushing around so I might try again on a hotter day or buy a lower temp thermostat. I could also try cutting the jiggle valve off the current one first. The thing that's bothering me is when I shut the car off, it backwashes a bit of air into the overflow tank for about 15 seconds, actually.. im not even sure if its air it might be coolant, It does not do it while its running, just when I shut it off. Rad cap is brand new, overflow lines/lid are sealed tight.

Il try my pressure tester on it and look around for my coolant test kit, only way to know for sure.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Island_Yota;1331857 said:
Nope tank is clean, coolant is clean. Im worried it might be the beginnings of a BHG but I bled it today successfully,parked on the steepest hill I could find in my yard(had to 4x4 the thing to get it there). Got some air out, I can still hear a bit rushing around so I might try again on a hotter day or buy a lower temp thermostat. I could also try cutting the jiggle valve off the current one first. The thing that's bothering me is when I shut the car off, it backwashes a bit of air into the overflow tank for about 15 seconds, actually.. im not even sure if its air it might be coolant, It does not do it while its running, just when I shut it off. Rad cap is brand new, overflow lines/lid are sealed tight.

Il try my pressure tester on it and look around for my coolant test kit, only way to know for sure.

Mine did the same thing, after turning the car off it would gush from the over flow tank.

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
iwannadie;1331890 said:
Mine did the same thing, after turning the car off it would gush from the over flow tank.

I will have to do the pressure test, if its a ::bhg:: I guess il be insuring my truck on Wednesday instead of the Supra. Still thinking its air in the system at this point.. which could easily lead to a ::bhg:: if I leave it. I marked the overflow hot and cold and its staying consistently the same which is a good sign I think?