Coolant level light. The bird keeps escaping!

Count Knobula

Jan 31, 2007
Atlanta
Well yesterday the coolant level light starting coming on and off intermittently. Topped off the anti-freeze and it stayed off for a day. It started popping on and off intermittently again the next day. Still full to the brim and the engine temp is fine.

Any ideas?

NB: I also have a problem with several of the test lights coming on and off on occasion (though not at the same time as the coolant level light). Incomplete ground?

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
What did you top off the over flow or the radiator?

If you topped off the over flow, which isnt a good Idea, it needs to be between the empty and full lines other wise you will waste coolant when the engine desides to dump some of the fluids into it. Check and see if the float is stuck, mine was on the 89 and I took it out and had to clean it, it works perfect now.

Count Knobula

Jan 31, 2007
Atlanta
D34DC311 said:

If you topped off the over flow, which isnt a good Idea, it needs to be between the empty and full lines other wise you will waste coolant when the engine desides to dump some of the fluids into it. Check and see if the float is stuck, mine was on the 89 and I took it out and had to clean it, it works perfect now.
I topped off the radiator. Where's the overflow? (89, turbo) And when you say float do you literally mean something bobbing up and down in there?

(dumb lolol)

Just looking at the TSRM. It might be the actual reservoir as opposed to the radiator. So I don't think I have a leak, what could have happened?

kntmikado

Rage Your Dream...
Apr 2, 2005
East Troy, WI 53120
D34DC311 said:

Not to get off-topic, but what did you clean it with? My float works, but the bottle's really dirty and I'd like to get rid of the ugly dark staining inside it that's keeping me from seeing the actual level.

madsupra88

BoOoOoST
Sep 17, 2005
Detroit,MI
kntmikado said:
Not to get off-topic, but what did you clean it with? My float works, but the bottle's really dirty and I'd like to get rid of the ugly dark staining inside it that's keeping me from seeing the actual level.

You can use carb cleaner! it cleaned mine like brand new.

Count Knobula

Jan 31, 2007
Atlanta
I'd like to know where the coolant resorvoir is. Is it easily accessible? My wife has the car right now and I'd like to be able to tell her where to look today.

madsupra88

BoOoOoST
Sep 17, 2005
Detroit,MI
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Its that yellow bottle bottom rite corner/

hope that helps.

Count Knobula

Jan 31, 2007
Atlanta
That's exactly what I wanted! Thanks! According to the TSRM it needs to be between the full and low lines. Are those lines easily visible? When cold (been sitting there a few hours) what level should it be at?

And the float, what am I looking for?

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Count Knobula said:
I topped off the radiator. Where's the overflow? (89, turbo) And when you say float do you literally mean something bobbing up and down in there?

(dumb lolol)

Just looking at the TSRM. It might be the actual reservoir as opposed to the radiator. So I don't think I have a leak, what could have happened?

The reservoir or over flow bottle has a float and yes it bobs up and down. My 89 had some gunk all around it, I think it was were it had been sitting for forever and the water/antifreeze/other chemicals just hardend around the float and it wouldnt actually float anymore. So it acted like there was no water in the reservoir. You also could have a leak, the rubber around the over flow is probably done its time, just silicon it up and it will hold like new again. There is no real pressure on this bottle so dont worry about it coming out. Its easy to take out, but a pain in the ass to get back in, a screw driver and pacients(SP?) helped me. Don't get frustraited, cause it is a bitch.

kntmikado said:

I just used some a-jax and soap and water, I also removed the float, it comes out but is a pain to put back in and chances are the rubber is shot to hell. Once I cleaned it I just got some silicon calk and popped the float in and sealed the bottom with the silicon. Works like a charm now.

madsupra88 said:
You can use carb cleaner! it cleaned mine like brand new.

Carb cleaner FTW, lol. Hey, whatever works right?

madsupra88

BoOoOoST
Sep 17, 2005
Detroit,MI
You see the bottle cap (top) when you pull it out it has a long tube thats connected to it, i believe the bobber thing is attached at the end of the tube. ill c if i can get a pic for you.

The lines are easy to see. basically dont fill the bottle up more than half. thats where the line is at.

-saif

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
madsupra88 said:
You see the bottle cap (top) when you pull it out it has a long tube thats connected to it, i believe the bobber thing is attached at the end of the tube. ill c if i can get a pic for you.

The lines are easy to see. basically dont fill the bottle up more than half. thats where the line is at.

-saif

Negative, the bobber is not attached to the tube, its at the very bottom of the over flow and is a peice by itself.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Count Knobula said:
Where the coolant enters the tank? that rubber?

No that hose is normally gonna last a long time, its the rubber seal/bob peice that is what ends up leaking, its the bottom of the over flow. Just remove the over flow bottle and check it. all you have to do is pop the top off it unplug the bottom of the bottle and lift it from the top. it slides in place, just use a rag or something, cause i cut the living shit out of my hand when i removed mine, lots of sharp parts around the over flow.

Count Knobula

Jan 31, 2007
Atlanta
I'll give it all a look tonight. Wife refuses to do it (even to pop the hood and look at the level), she's in lazy bitch mode. :(

I wanna track this down dammit!

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Count Knobula said:
I'll give it all a look tonight. Wife refuses to do it (even to pop the hood and look at the level), she's in lazy bitch mode. :(

I wanna track this down dammit!

I think she is just scared to mess with a car, alot of women are.

Count Knobula

Jan 31, 2007
Atlanta
D34DC311 said:
I think she is just scared to mess with a car, alot of women are.
I'm talking just going to the car, popping the hood and looking at the reservoir tank level.

I guess my car isn't in imminent danger, right?

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Count Knobula said:
I'm talking just going to the car, popping the hood and looking at the reservoir tank level.

I guess my car isn't in imminent danger, right?

Hmm, not really but lets just say they didnt put a warning light there because it completes the interior.

Count Knobula

Jan 31, 2007
Atlanta
suprabad said:
A little advice from a guy who's been married a long time (a couple of times):

You're probably gonna be better off if you re-word that when you talk to the little women.:icon_razz
I've been married a little while now and believe me I know.

I wouldn't have posted that even if I thought there was a 1% chance of her seeing that!

Count Knobula

Jan 31, 2007
Atlanta
D34DC311 said:
Hmm, not really but lets just say they didnt put a warning light there because it completes the interior.
Absolutely. However after tonight's commute home (8-10 miles) it doesn't need to be in action until next Thursday. Plenty of time to track it down really.