Coolant leaking, heater bypass?

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
wutlf.jpg

This is not a joke, my hose blew while on a roadtrip and somebody took that picture, now that this has been fixed. I circled in red a hose coming from the back of the head, to a black module of some kind, with another coolant hose going from that module, into the firewall.

I'm guessing this is the heater control bypass?, what is the Toyota part number for that? and where can I find this in the TSRM.

also, is it common for that piece to leak? everything started to leak and blow(hoses) after I switched from a leaking radiator (couldn't hold pressure) to a 1.1 bar Mishimoto.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Not sure about the part number but its fairly common for that to break. I just bypassed mine for the time being. Might want to check for signs of bhg just in case cause that could cause leaks in the system but it also could just be the fact that the car its old as well. Just wondering, did your rad leak out of the top main seal?

Alang

Nov 6, 2006
Las Vegas
If you are talking about the hose that goes from the back of the block to the firewall outlet. A couple of pointers.
1. Cheaper to get a generic 90º elbow hose with the right lengths than from Toyota
2. Sometimes it is just a split at the hose end near the clamp. You might be able to get away with just cutting off the split end and reclamping. BTDT