Coolant leaking from metal cap under alternator

froubaby

MyMKIIIsupra.com
Apr 30, 2007
South Florida
www.mymkiiisupra.com
Yea, this is a new one. I think I've read all of the coolant trouble threads on SM and could not find one that described my problem. Yesterday I finally rolled the car out of the garage, filled it with coolant, started the car (actually had to jump it), and put my camera to work. FINALLY! I caught a picture of where the leak was coming from:

get_thumbs_on_fly.php

As the title says, this metal cap is located directly under the alternator. My MKIII is an 89 7m-gte.

So my question is... what do you think will hold for a temp fix to last just a few more weeks/months till I can do my engine swap?
- water sealer only
- water sealer and JB weld
- weld a metal plate to that area
- find a new cap and replace altoghether
- something else

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

- Liz

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
do NOT try to concoct any type of temporary fix for that. you will turn a minor problem into a big one (think: cap blows out on the high way and at best youre stranded, at worst, the engine overheats AND you get stranded)

get a new one from toyota and replace it.

keep in mind, you cant really tap those things in either, you have to get them in with one or two solid blows .

froubaby

MyMKIIIsupra.com
Apr 30, 2007
South Florida
www.mymkiiisupra.com
lagged;916901 said:
do NOT try to concoct any type of temporary fix for that. you will turn a minor problem into a big one (think: cap blows out on the high way and at best youre stranded, at worst, the engine overheats AND you get stranded)

get a new one from toyota and replace it.

keep in mind, you cant really tap those things in either, you have to get them in with one or two solid blows .

Thanks for your thoughts. The reason I mention temp fixes is a swap is in the future for this car and it's been sitting for 6 months now (too busy to find the time to find out what was going on with the leak). Being stranded isn't a big concern either as I only drive the car here and there and I've got AAA for towing (how I got her home when she was overheating before).

I'll give Toyota a call tomorrow. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to get the piece out? From the pics (I haven't taken the alternator off yet to see the area - just going by the pic right now) it looks like some needle nose pliers to pry that piece out. ???

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
My biggest concern after getting that replaced would be how in the hell did that happen.

Freeze out plugs are not that thin, or fragile. Did that thing get hole corroded through it? Has you car been driven for long periods with a BHG?

That's pretty screwed up (but not all that hard to fix).

froubaby

MyMKIIIsupra.com
Apr 30, 2007
South Florida
www.mymkiiisupra.com
Supracentral;916916 said:
My biggest concern after getting that replaced would be how in the hell did that happen.

Freeze out plugs are not that thin, or fragile. Did that thing get hole corroded through it? Has you car been driven for long periods with a BHG?

That's pretty screwed up (but not all that hard to fix).

I bought the car in May from Ray (polobai). It has a MHG already. The only trouble I've had since buying till end of August when the leak started (and since then been sitting in the garage) was that I've got rod knock.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
I see freeze plugs that leak all the time. It's usually due to corrosion/rust(from the inside, out), due to people running straight water, or very little coolant and mostly water, or electrolysis from faulty grounds. Easy fix, as stated. There is a tool made just for installing them. The easiest way to get it out(without an air hammer) is to put a dull chisel on one side, up on the ridge, and give it a good rap with a hammer. Once you get the plug turned sideways, grab it with channel locks, and pull it out. Putting it in is a little more difficult. If you can't get the installation tool, you can use a socket that fits inside the walls. Just make sure you don't push it too far, and that it goes in straight.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
GrimJack;917074 said:
I've seen those leak when a USA mechanic replaces them with imperial sizes instead of metric...

yup :( i had one blow out on an old motor.

it was a 7m and was one of the smaller plugs behind the starter. it was real bitch to repair without taking everything apart but some how i got it.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Why would someone use anything but a metric sized plug in a metric motor? You can get them at O'Riellys and A.Z. Napa, too, I think

MmmBoost

DDS Performance
at autozone (and any other parts store) you will find many many "rubber expansion plugs." they are designed to temporarily fix the problem. once you get the old one out, just put the rubber one in the hole and tighten the nut. all you have to do is measure the hole, and match one up that is within range.

note that its just a temporary fix, and if one already rusted out, the rest might follow suit.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
yes rubber expation plug i guess that is better name for instead of my crappy name for it

they work and can last a long time