Coolant leaking from back of block/head

ThirstyMKthrice

Feb 26, 2008
Austin, TX
www.myspace.com
I was filling my radiator with water and I found a leak from the back of the cylinder head/ block. I can't get too good of a look at it, and my hands just come shy from the source of the leak. What is this?

ThirstyMKthrice

Feb 26, 2008
Austin, TX
www.myspace.com
I don't have small hands lol. I tried to find the "union from the head to the heater hose" in the TSRM but I'm having no luck. I'm positive I never had the EGR Cooler on the head. When I got the car it only had one component to the EGR system, and it was just one valve and a hose with a bolt in it. I'm about to just save up some money and take it to someone with experience.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
I got big hands and I still shoved it in there to fix it... many cuts later it still don't leak.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
youve gotta undo the hose and get a socket to fit the union bolt and snug it down. If you have a leak from the egr cooler you should be burning coolant as theres a direct hole that goes to the intake. Tightening the egr cover bolts will do nothing, as thats not meant to seal coolant, and there is a big hex plug inside the cover that seals coolant, the head would need to come off to do this.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
ThirstyMKthrice;1043485 said:
did you attack it from the intake side, seems the only place I can really fit...

straight over the engine and on the exhaust side had best results for me.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Very likely it's the small 90 deg hose from the banjo fitting to the hard line surrounding the block -or- as previously mentioned, the heater feed hose to the HCV. Either is bad...if one of these hose blow, you will lose ALL your coolant in a very short time. Happened to me on the highway...massive overheat before I could exit. Pretty sure that's what was responsible for the BHG on the 1st motor.

Bill UK

90 Supra Turbo 14 psi
Aug 11, 2006
UK
You will need a 32 mm socket, the problem is the standard socket it too high and the wrench catches on the bulkhead lip. I ground down quite a bit of the socket to make it fit which left me just enough flats on there to make a good contact with the hexagon nut. Toyota part #`s below. As you can see you will need to order 4 items, the top and bottom gasket/washers have the same part # `s. If your lucky it may only be the hose leaking, Good Luck.
p1044523_1.jpg